Sunday, February 3, 2008

Tracy Reese in Bryant Park








Today was my FIRST ever show under the tents in Bryant Park!! MY FIRST EVER!!! I agreed to meet Mary Moore (my publicist...lol...I LOVE SAYING THAT!!!!) in front of the tents in Bryant Park. The D train was backed up and I wound up arriving at 3:10pm rather than the 3:00 time we agreed on. So needless to say I was running when I got to the entrance! The security person had a good laugh watching me try to catch my breath before I got inside.

Well, I will admit...I was FASCINATED once I gained entrance to the main tent...it was set up with individual booths, bars, interview plazas...etc...the whole event was fabulous!!! And it definitely gave me something to aspire to as far as producing events go.

Mary was already inside getting the Simmons Sisters (Rev Run's Daughter's) Vanessa & Angela seated (they're her clients too! Go Mary!) after waiting a while for her to return...I went ahead and checked in and got my seat assignment. When I entered the tent...I saw immediately why I couldn't find Mary...it was TOTAL chaos inside. Folks were taking OTHER folks seats and NOT giving them up!!!...(word to the wise...THIS IS EXACTLY HOW FIGHTS BEGIN!!! YOU NEED TO COME UP WITH A BETTER SYSTEM). Anyway, once I realized that my seat had been taken as well....Tracy's staff quickly found me a seat right on the floor! It was awesome!! Seated to my left was film director Lee Daniels, who was accompanied by one of the stars of his new film "PUSH", which also stars Mo'Nique. The photographer's bank was at the bottom of the runway and I have never seen that many photogs gathered in one place in my life....from a model's viewpoint...it must have been AMAZING to stand at the top of that runway.

After a short delay, more than likely due to the chaos with the seating arrangements...the lights dimmed and the show started. I will be honest...at first I didn't really care for the first couple of pieces that came out but later in the showing I saw quite a few prints, slacks, & dresses that I absolutely loved. They all wore funky lizard boots or strappy sandals...lol...I couldn't help but notice that some of the shoes were too big for some of the models and a couple of their boots weren't fully zipped or laced up and that caused a problem for a few of them.
The show was actually only about 15-20 minutes long and was over before you knew it. Tracy came out on the runway about maybe 5 seats deep and then to my dismay picked up a bouquet of flowers and exited. I really did think she would walk the ENTIRE runway and acknowledg the applause and well wishes from ALL of her fans...but alas it was not to be.

I also ran in to VIBE Fashion Director Memsor Kamarake


who I hadn't seen since were were in Guyana together last August for Fashion Week. Kevin Anthony, the creator of Black 2 Broadway, Troy Artis and as I was leaving I noticed a tall man brushing shoulders with me and when he turned around I realized he was Nigel Barker from America's Next Top Model...he's like 6'4" family and FINE AS HELL!!!!! I scooped up Kevin Anthony and he was kind enough to get the LAST SHOT ON MY CAMERA OF ME & NIGEL BEFORE MY CAMERA BATTERY DIED!!!!!

On the way out I took a compliment from Project Runway designer Laura Bennett (Season 3)


who looked at me from across the room and told me I was beautiful!...you KNOW how much I love hearing that!!! lol.


I also ran into Ebony Mag's Harriette Cole, Sister 2 Sister's Walter Greene, Photographer Donn Thompson, Michele Weston & Beverly Smith who was busily doing interviews for BET's Black Carpet.


Anywhoo! Of course as fate would have it...I got stopped outside by the American Express camera team who asked if I'd like to give my opinion on camera....Now you KNOW I simply couldn't resist. ...lol....now this woman puts a mike in my face and asks me if I liked the show that I had just seen...to which I replied...as honestly as I could...."I didn't like EVERYTHING that I saw but as the show progressed I did begin to see things that were more to my liking and/or taste. And then she asked THE QUESTION:


"Would you wear any of Tracy Reese's Clothing?"


To which I looked at her crazily before replying...."er...she doesn't make clothing in my size...if she DID, Yes! I would probably try to buy some of the things that I saw but as it stands....she doesn't make clothing for me....But she needs to....I would have turned her runway OUT!!!! My thoughts for her show are the same thoughts that I have for EVERY SHOW that's held under these tents....they all need a F.A.T. (As in Fabulous & Thick) Girl in the show to give it some "Flavor". I wasn't mean about it at all....I was simply stating fact.


You should have seen the interviewer's face after I finished speaking.....lol...she tried to cut a sister off by bringing another person into the interview...but the Runway Diva wasn't having any of it!!!! After she let Troy (The other interviewee finish...I jumped right in to say something else). She also told me my interview could be found at www.americanexpress.com/style and you KNOW I went right to that site this morning....lol...and of course...my interview was NOT there....


lol...I am not the least bit surprised because even with all the new "groups" and "Coalitions" forming and er...reforming...it seems that they are all only concered with what's happening with the skinny girls...they are not interested in hearing the voice of the plus size industry....just as they are not interested in seeing us on the runways or on film & tv....but trust me when I tell you.....I am about to change all of that.


We will no longer be ignored.


And THAT'S a promise.


Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

No comments: