Saturday, May 24, 2008

How much is a loaf of bread now?????

Yo Fam!!!

I just stopped in my local bodega the other night to get a beverage and some munchies and I remembered that we had run out of bread. I walked over to the bread rack and picked up a loaf....now normally I would have just tossed it on the counter and kept it moving but on this particular day, I had a limited amount of cash on me, so I looked at the price and discovered to my horror.....


THE PRICE OF BREAD HAS RISEN TO $3.50!!! WTF???


Bread is not supposed to be that damn high! It's BREAD PEOPLE!!!! I mean I knew that the price of MILK had skyrocketed, but I don't drink milk (I don't like the taste of it and I am SEVERELY lactose intolerant) nor do I have any children, so that didn't really affect me too much....but bread???

Bread is the staple that gets most poor people through the week....where are we headed people??? $3.50 is absolutely ridiculous for some damn bread.....now I gotta go to the 99 Cents store to buy a loaf of bread that has a hmmm....2 day shelf life before it expires????? What the hell....

I did do some research and I found that the price of WHEAT has reached an all time high...I found this article on a CBS news website:

Cost Of Bread Skyrockets Amid Wheat Shortage

Linda Yee, Reporting SAN FRANCISCO (CBS 5) ― Bread is a staple, and for many families, it's hard to live without it. But whether it is bought in a neighborhood bakery or a supermarket, it's hard to ignore just how much a loaf of bread has skyrocketed."It's incredible, it's gone up 50 cents from month by month," said Sandy Jack, a customer at a local bakery. "I can't believe it."The economics are simple: the demand for flour is high because there is a worldwide shortage of wheat.

The United States is exporting more grain."We have poor crops overseas in Australia, the Ukraine. Wheat crops, but some of it reflects the fundamental change in the market," said Gary Schlossberg of Wells Capital Management. "We have the move towards biofuels, ethanol that is diverting production away from food and toward production of fuels."Flour costs have tripled in the past year for bakers. It now costs more than sugar."It's like gold," said Pascal Rigo, a baker at La Boulange Bakery. "We are very careful (with) every little gram of flour we use."Consumers can expect to pay 50 cents to $1.00 more per loaf than they did just a year ago.

Bakers say it's going to get worse in the coming months. Bakers at the family-owned Boudin's in San Francisco say the wheat shortage has resulted in the lowest supply in 60 years. They say the higher costs are catastrophic."The bread business is going to turn into the milk business or the meat business, where the prices change on a weekly basis," said Dan Giraudo, who buys the flour for Boudin's.Like a commodities futures trader, he's buying up supplies now to avoid higher costs expected for the winter crop."It's a difficult time," Giraudo said. "You'll see a lot of fallout within the industry I would assume within the next year."

Damn. What am I supposed put my peanut butter & jelly on now???

“Life is like a sandwich - the more you add to it, the better it becomes.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow.,,. i am doing a report on how much bread was in 1996 and i couldnt remember how much it was now because we have to compare prices. thank you!!! you saved me from running to the store with my mom. do u have the price of milk, eggs and houses? lmfao. ty !!!;-)