Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Broadway Diva B.J. Crosby has Stroke

Singer B.J. Crosby suffered a stroke the week of June 15th.

She is doing fine and her speech is improving by the day, though she still can't sing. She recently told The Times-Picayune, ""My speech is slurred, but I take my time when I talk so you can understand me. It's OK. I know I'm getting better. I'm going to recover. It's just going to take a little time."

Ms. Crosby received a Tony Nomination for her performance in Smokey Joe's Cafe in which she also contributed to the Grammy winning cast album.

Other credits include "One Mo' Time," "Harlemsong" and "Dreamgirls." She's also appeared on A 1984 TV special, "Lady BJ Sings Lady Day: A Tribute to Billie Holiday," in addition to "Law & Order: SVU", "Ally McBeal" and "Gimme a Break."

The theater star famous for her powerful voice is able to speak and walk and has regained some use of her right hand and arm, but is unable to sing at this point, according to a report in the Times-Picayune.

"My speech is slurred, but I take my time when I talk so you can understand me," Crosby told the Times-Picayune. "It's OK. I know I'm getting better. . . . I'm not mad that this happened to me. But it's difficult to get through. I'm taking it one day at a time. I'm going to recover. It's just going to take a little time."

Crosby, who has played Matron "Mama" Morton in the hit Broadway revival of Chicago, does not have medical insurance. To help raise funds for her bills, donations are being accepted, and a benefit concert is planned for the fall.

"I need prayers more than money," Crosby told the New Orleans paper. "Tell people not to stop praying for me. I know prayer changes things."


We are praying for your speedy recovery BJ!

“Hope is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune without words, and never stops at all."

No comments: