Monday, December 17, 2007

Happy Birthday Chef Syncere!!!



Last Saturday, I attended a birthday party for my publicist's hubby....Chef Syncere. The party was held at NY Perks in Brooklyn and the birthday boy himself was catering (Chef Syncere has a restaurant right next door ya'll!). I have had the pleasure of dining on his cooking and I made sure I was good and hungry when I got there! I brought Miss Jacqueline along (cuz you know I hate attending functions alone...) and she brought her appetite too!

We got there at around 9:30pm and almost immediately ran into the birthday boy at the door (he was going back and forth trying to enjoy his party AND keep his business running at the same time...whew!) who pointed us in the direction of his wife AND the food...lol! I found my publicist, Mary Moore, Cynthia Horner and a special added surprise of seeing Jamie Foster-Brown too!

Quite a few folks had already arrived when we got there but there was still enough space to move around. We found some seats at the bar...lol...adjacent to the buffet...which by the way was lovely! We ordered drinks and chatted and I tried to er...pretend like I wasn't really interested in eating...lol...that lasted for Oh...maybe 10 minutes and then I announced to Jacque...."Okay, I'm starving...i'm gonna go for it....you hungry?" Miss Lady said she wasn't and I was off to take on the buffet by myself. As I worked my way up and down those serving trays...I saw that the Chef had outdone himself...there was a full spread of fried chicken, Jerk Chicken, BBQ Meatballs, Fried Fish, Mac & Cheese (which was EXCELLENT!), rice & peas and steamed crab legs (didn't touch those though...way too messy to fool around with in a bar!)...the only thing that was missing for me was Potato Salad!!! (You just can't have fried chicken without it!!).

I made my way back to my seat and as soon as Miss Jacqueline saw that Mac & Cheese on my plate....she was off and running! As we ate, drank and chatted...I took a moment to check out the restaurant. I had heard of NY Perks...I get their emails ALL THE TIME...but since it's in Brooklyn...and I am without a vehicle at present..well you know...It's BROOKLYN!!! Anyway, the restaurant is laid out nicely and it's more long than wide...there are wide screen TV's in the front and back bars and comfy seating...AND an outdoor seating space...if it were located in Manhattan...heck, I'd be there all the time!

By the time we finished eating, it had begun to get crowded and we decided to find seats closer to the dance floor so we could watch the festivities. The DJ was beginning to get warmed up and we found seats next to Mary and watched folks get their dance on. There was one young woman in particular...a juicy girl...wearing a purple & lavender swirl print blouse...Baby...Miss Lady was WORKING IT OUT!!! She was giving us the ENTIRE Beyonce "Get Me Bodied" Choreography and home girl threw in a few full splits just for good measure! I couldn't stop looking at her...just the THOUGHT of doing a full split causes me pain...lol.

As we talked and took photographs, I noticed that Miss Mary was drinking what appeared to be a glass of wine...now I don't get to see her drink too often, cuz she's always driving but I think she had this particular night off. She told me she was drinking a white wine spritzer...to which I loudly announced "WHAT??? That ain't no drink!!!"...if you're gonna drink...at LEAST drink something that HAS some alcohol IN it!!! I suggested she have one of my faves...which I have totally rechristened as "The Runway Diva"...Malibu, OJ & Cranberry Juice with a twist of lime...very fruity and tasty...can sneak up on you though! Jacque brought one back for her and she LOVED it!

I finally got up and danced for a minute when the DJ pulled out "Hot" By Soho...did my thing for about 5 to 7 minutes and that was it...lol. We hung out for a while longer when "The Chef" took a break and finally joined us....and then after we found out that MARY FORGOT TO ORDER A BIRTHDAY CAKE!!!! LOL...we headed back to the city!

Good food, Good Music and Good Company....who could ask for more!

Happy Birthday Syncere!

"Your birthday is a special time to celebrate the gift of 'you' to the world.”

No comments: