Monday, December 31, 2007

A look back at 2007...The Year in Review...

2007 wound up being one of my strongest years ever...career wise. Thanks for all of your love and support family! Enjoy the recap!

January

I recieve a call from one of the producer's regarding MFC Paris, I am told that a decision has been made and my role has changed and I am no longer going to Paris. I am enroute to the hospital to visit my dad, who is recovering from a heart attack. Needless to say I am not pleased with this news at all. As a matter of fact I am absolutely livid.

February

My birthday comes and goes without any fan fare. I am still pissed off about not going to Paris.

March

3/6 - Queen Latifah's Curvation clothing line makes it's debut at The Mandarin Oriental Hotel in NYC. The show is an overwhelming success and they score an invite to show in the tents in the spring of 2008.





I leave the Mandarin Oriental to head over to the Hammerstein Ballroom for BET's Rip The Runway taping. The show is a hot ass mess backstage and confirms for me that I am probably getting too old for this sort of thing.


3/11 - GMWA fashion benefit with Sharon "Magic" Jordan at the Brooklyn Marriott Hotel.

April

4/7 - The Links fashion show at Chelsea Piers. This show is REAL old school, ya'll...I do this show with Miss Angellika and we have a "ki-ki" the entire time!

4/8 - I have to be at the Waldorf Astoria at the crack of dawn, to do a show for a modeling expo with LuSierra and Douglas Says. The show is a trip and I have a lot of fun "showing em' how it should be done".

4/13 - I fly out to Los Angeles for the first round of Mo'Nique's F.A.T. Chance castings in Los Angeles. I arrive in LA with a TOTAL attitude (long story) and the 5 days that I am in LA are a total nightmare.....in particular...I having MAJOR food issues with the food in the hotel I am staying in and wind up being either sick to my stomach or hungry most of the time I am there.

4/18 - I am all to ready to leave LA and head out to Chicago for the 2nd round of FAT Chance castings....Alas...the nightmare continues to thrive....I wind up in a hotel that hadn't seen repairs and/or renovations since the Lincoln Administration was running things in the White House and to top it off...MY bed has BEDBUGS!!!!! The next night I am moved to The W Hotel and manage to finally get some restful sleep. The best part of my trip is that I got to see and hang out with my girl Julia & her hubby Perry....they find the bedbug situation both frightening and hilarious and they lift my spirits for the rest of the trip.

4/20 - We leave Chicago and head to Dallas, Texas for the last round of castings, as luck would have it...the car that I am taking to the airport has the world's SLOWEST driver on the planet at the wheel and we TOTALLY miss our flight. We wind up sitting in O'Hare for HOURS and finally manage to catch the last plane out. We arrive in Dallas at 1am and the airport is deserted. Things cannot get much worse....I think. I say a SERIOUS prayer that night and the next morning...I awake and I am absolutely invigorated. I put on my orange Douglas Says Wrap Dress and come down stairs a new person. When I enter the ballroom, Dallas, Texas shows me SO MUCH love that I am overwhelmed and nearly brought to tears. I am a rock star for the next few days. I also get to introduce Mo'Nique to Dallas and get the crowd all amped up for her entrance.

With my food issues from LA firmly behind me, I happily order lunch from the hotel during our lunch break....I order the Shrimp Caesar Salad and a pasta dish. I am hungry and my lips are smacking for my salad...by the time it arrives I am ravenous and ready to pounce. I lift up the cover to my salad and I swear to GOD....There are SIX - SEVEN RAW ASS SHRIMP ON TOP OF MY SALAD!!!!! People!!!! I KNOW what cooked shrimp look like...I eat them all the time!!! they're supposed to be nice and pink and yummy. These shrimp were GRAY & BLACK WITH THE SHELLS STILL ON !!!!! I kid you not....They literally took six shrimp out the box, knocked off the ice and put em on top of my damn salad. I was finished after that and I couldn't WAIT to get my behind back home so I could finally get something to eat!

4/23 - I am up early packing to head back home. In parking lot of the hotel a bunch of ladies bum rush me in the parking lot for autographs & pictures, Oxygen's Noelle Llewellyn is watching and officially declares to the world that I am officially a "Rock Star". I am in the airport headed to my gate when my phone rings and it's Mo' telling me that she has to find a way to bring me to Paris. I smile openly in the airport. It's now official....I am headed to Paris.

May

5/25 - I guest host a program (as a favor for a friend) for the students of P.S. 5 in Brooklyn. I enjoy the children but the show is an unorganized mess and I am dismayed to find more children in the band then there were parents in the audience. Unfortunately, later on this same friend makes me regret ever knowing him.

5/31 - I fly out from JFK to Paris - first class! I manage to pick up a bug in the airport, get sick on the plane (fever, chills, sweats, etc) unable to eat anything and I wind up sleeping for 3/4 of the flight wrapped up in blankets, trying to "sweat" it out. Thank goodness for those seats that recline to a full horizontal position! Unfortunately, this trip causes me to miss my niece Jennifer's prom. I'm bummed.

June

6/1 - I am feeling much better by the time I arrive in Paris and am anxious to meet the final 5 contestants for the first time. We rehearse for hours and for some....into the wee hours of the morning. The money exchange rate is heinous! I am still having food issues in Gay Paree (they eat a LOT of pork and obviously no turkey at all). I am eating a lot of bread, salad, fruit, cheese & the occasional piece of chicken when I can get it.

6/2 - The big day has finally arrived, after much primping, posing, rehearsing etc. The format of the show has changed from a "beauty pageant" to more of a "runway show" format but the show goes off with out a hitch anyway. By the time we wrap taping it's late and every place to eat is basically closed. My co-horts and I wind up driving all over Paris because we heard there was a McDonald's open all night nearby. We get stopped at a DUI Checkpoint (which takes forever and scares the hell out of me cuz they make our driver take a breathalyzer test on the spot and I can't understand what anyone is saying....but it ALL SOUNDS HARSH to me) but finally make it there....and I have what has to be THE BEST FILET OF FISH AND FRENCH FRIES THAT I HAVE EVER EATEN!!!! For real.

6/3 - I return from Paris and I am glad to be home.

6/14 - I attend the opening of Monif C.'s boutique opening in Manhattan, the big girls are out in full force and the opening is a huge success and from there, I hightail it over to Radio City spend the evening with Mo'Nique & Jill Scott!

6/15 - I return to Radio City to hang with Mo' again and this time Chaka Khan is on the bill as well!

6/21 - Tonight is the night of my late BFF's daughter's prom. I am meeting her to do her makeup for her prom. Miss Naia looks beautiful when I am finished with her and she looks so much like her mama it scares me.

6/23 - I attend my niece's baby shower in the Bronx, it's er...interesting....the uh...guests are STILL arriving at 11pm, when I am ABOUT TO LEAVE??? WTF??? (lol..I thought baby showers were generally supposed to be held while the sun is still up?) Then I head back down to midtown to catch my homegirl Eda's surprise birthday party. I have a ball until my knees decide it's time for me to go home.

July

7/6 - I am a guest speaker at the Diva in Me Conference in Toledo, OH.

7/14 - I do the Mothership Connection Show on MNN for Just Raymona. It is a MAGNIFICENT summer day, the show is live and I get the feeling that nothing good will come from me doing this.

7/20 - I travel to Atlanta, GA to be a guest judge at Full Figured & Fabulous, a plus model competition. The show is good but I decide that I really don't care for the city of Atlanta at all.

7/21 - The Mo'Nique's FAT Chance Paris casting special airs on Oxygen.

7/28 - Mo'Nique's F.A.T. Chance Paris debuts on Oxygen. I decide not to hold a screening party this year (to keep my face from being cracked...again) and watch it at home with my parents. My mom and I crack open two bottles of Reisling and we are completely drunk by the time my face comes on the screen...lol. They LOVE my segment but not the rest of the show. They don't like the change in format.



August

8/19 - I fly out to Cincinnati, OH to begin filming an episode of MADE for MTV. My clothing designer backs out on me at the last minute and I am forced to pull wardrobe from my own closet.



8/23 - I fly from Cincinnati to NY where I have a 7 hour lay over before I fly to Guyana with Walter Greene to participate in Guyana's first fashion week. It's a beautiful show but a logistical nightmare. On the plus side...President Bharret Jagdeo is smitten with The Runway Diva.




8/27 - On the day before I return to the states, I go hiking in the Amazon...in flip flops.


8/28 - I fly from Guyana to New York and then onto Cincinnati to resume filming for MADE. There are a TON of flies that snuck on board and I am a cranky bitch...in pain and tired.


September



9/1 - I FINALLY return to New York from Cincinnati - It's official...I am exhausted.


9/8 - Back to Cincinnati to resume filming on MADE along with a suitcase full of clothing supplied by Monif C.



9/20 - I attend the Essence Speed Dating Event at Negril West. It's interesting, but the place is actually kinda small and dark to be condusive to speed dating.



9/21 - Art of Curves event at The Westside Loft.



9/23 - Mustard Seed Fundraiser at the Hilton Hotel in NYC. We showcase clothing for Curvation - The line is magnificent and the Plus models steal the show as always.



I have dinner with Mary Moore of So Much Moore Communications immediately following the Mustard Seed Benefit. By the end of dinner I have a new publicist!



9/26 - I am a guest presenter at the African American Literary Awards at the Alhambra Ballroom in NYC. The dinner rolls are like rocks. I secure an invite to Freddie Jackson's birthday party the following week.



9/29 - The Fat Girl Flea Market has it's annual sale at the GLBT Center in Greenwich Village.


October


10/1 - I attend Freddie Jackson's Birthday Party at Melba's in Harlem. I have a ball!



10/3 - I attend the Tupac Assassination Private Screening with my monster.



10/5 - I make an appearance at the Lane Bryant Bra Fit event in Brooklyn. They drop the ball on the publicity on the event and the turnout is low. I shoot uptown to drag my homie Muzette with me up to the Bronx to check out Mo'Nique at The Paradise Theater. We get free Apple Bottoms jeans & tops to take home as presents!


10/7 - Mary Moore is ON FIRE!!! I attend Ebony Fashion Fair at The Apollo Theater with my sister. My sister and I have a good time, but I wasn't real happy with the show.



10/12 - I come down with a bad cold and miss the Flawless Calendar Event at Prey Lounge in NYC.


10/18 - Curvation supplies me with clothing for the last 10 days of my MADE shoot. While enroute back home to my apartment I am physically assaulted by a crazy person on the bus and I use all of the strength in the universe to keep from kicking his *ss, going to jail and missing my flight back to Cincinnati. I call my monster who prepares to jump in cab and meet my bus, shortly after homie gets off quickly. I love New York....I really do.

10/19 - I fly back to Cincinnati for the final shooting days of MADE.


10/24 - I head from Cincinnati to LA for the final shooting of the Torrid Model Search on MADE. I am officially ready to have this be over.


10/29 - I return to NYC from LA just in time to do an interview on The Thermal Soundwaves Radio Show with Kev Lawrence. Kev decides to ask me my bra size on air. I rise to the challenge.


10/30 - PrivacyWear launch at The PrivacyWear showroom on Broadway. I reconnect with Grace Henriquez of MTV at this party.


10/31 - I make an appearance on The El & Syl Radio Show.


November

11/3 - I am down in Fort Lauderdale, FL for the Linda Scott 1426 "Oh What A Night" fashion event. I have an absolute ball and they treat me like a queen...Thanks Linda & Jerry!

11/5 - The issue of Jet Magazine with my photo (with Audrey Smaltz) goes on sale. The issues sell out throughout the United States in a record 15 minutes and INSTANTLY becomes a collectors item! (okay...that last part was my imagination TOTALLY running away with me...sorry.)


11/8 - I attend the Fats Domino Benefit Concert at Pink Elephant. I get an emergency call and have to leave early.


11/9 - The African American Women in Cinema Festival begins in NY City. I attend the opening festivities with my girl Timikal Bobo from Oxygen. The festival kicks off with an appearance and Q&A with director Kasi Lemmons and a screening of her movie "Talk To Me", (which I saw on the flight back to NYC from LA but enjoyed it so much I wanted to see it again).


11/12 - Urban Mainstream Magazine interview.


11/12 - The festival ends with a brunch and awards ceremony at The Cinema Restaurant. The honoree for the festival is actress Tasha Smith (Why did I get Married?), she a very nice woman. I head out to New Jersey for a rehearsal of The Erotica Monologues.


11/14 - I attend Lil' Mo's Birthday party with my girl Muzette and get to hang out with Theresa "Sparkle" Randolph and Miki Howard. I am wearing my black convertible dress by Monif C., I look good but I fight with that damn dress all night!


11/15 - I have my first photo shoot in several years with Luke Jones and get the sexiest head shot I have ever taken. The response to this picture is overwhelming! (and I ain't lying here ya'll). Check it out:





11/16 - I am honored to be the "Guest Seductress" (i.e. host...lol) for "The Erotica Monologues" in Brooklyn, NY.


11/18 - Interview with Shawna Renee on the Cocoa Mode Show on XM Radio. I meet with the contestants of the upcoming Miss Full Figured 2008 pageant.


11/19 - Mary Moore and I attend the AUDELCO Awards at Aaron Davis Hall in NYC. I meet actor Russell Hornsby (Lincoln Heights, photo below) in the hallway and want to give him some on sight!




11/28 - My friend Jacqueline & I attend a charity event at The Chevrolet of Harlem Dealership and shoot downtown to attend WE Entertainment's "Rock The Vote in 08' Party" in the Meat packing district. We get turned around and wind up looking for Little West 12th St for nearly 40 minutes!!


11/30 - I tape my first segment with Better.TV it goes over really well and I am asked to return to do another segment on the spot.


December



12/2 - I am supposed to co-host The Miss Full Figured 2008 Pageant for the second year in a row in New York. The other co-host is a no-show so I wind up hosting the entire event. It's fun.


12/3 - I attend a taping of the Tyra Banks show with my girlfriend Viki. I enjoy myself and I loved seeing Miss Tyra but the freezing temperatures in that studio made me vow that I would never do it again.


12/4 - I meet with Fallon Sinclair of IPM Models to discuss the possiblity of me coming on board with her agency as a booker.


12/5 - I have my 2nd & 3rd tapings with Better.TV! I meet Chef Rocco DiSpirito (who is taping a segment after mine) and have a blast making him blush by telling him what a CUTIE he is!!!



I also meet Project Runway hairstylist Donyale on set and make a brand new friend!!!


12/7 - It's my mama's birthday! I cook dinner for her.


12/9 - I attend The Curvesity Awards at The Crowne Plaza Hotel in Queens to watch my best friend, Gwen DeVoe accept her lifetime achievement award. You GO Girl!


12/12 - I attend the Goddess/Model Service Holiday party at Celsius in Bryant Park. The event is FAB but even with the heat lamps under the tents....brrr....the room is very er...chilly.


12/13 - I am a guest at the annual Harlem Christmas Tree lighting at the Harlem State Office Building on 125th street. The weather is GOD AWFUL (It's sleeting) but the event is alive with the holiday spirit. FOX 5 Newscaster Mike Woods TOTALLY botches up my title during my introduction and I have to take the mic from him to fix it!!!


I leave the party to attend the wake of actor/theatrical producer Leonard Parker who I have known since I was 14 years old.


12/15 - I attend Chef Syncere's birthday party at NY Perks in Brooklyn. The Mac & Cheese is SLAMMIN'.


12/18 - I attend Grammy Winning producer Brian Michael Cox's 30th Birthday party at The W Hotel.....
Mary cannot attend so I drag Jacqueline with me and she helps me navigate the red carpet lovely. Q-Tip (A Tribe Called Quest) is the guest DJ:



and American Idol semi finalist Jared Cotter is in the house.





I meet Paul Shaffer from The David Letterman show on the way out and I am totally amped up!





AND I run into Colin Farrell in the lobby as the paparazzi are driving him out of the hotel. I actually feel sorry for him because they (the paparazzi) were literally ALL OVER him like vultures, he doesn't get to stay long enough for a drink or anything. I manage to get a snapshot of him right before his car pulls off:



12/23 - As an early Christmas present, I get a small article on how I am spending my holiday on AOL Black Voices Blog: http://www.blackvoices.com/blogs/2007/12/23/black-celebrity-christmas-thoughts-sharon-quinn/ and my "official" title is now "Reality TV Personality"...This cracks me up! But it makes me proud to see my picture up there anyway!


12/25 - Merry Christmas! I get up early to go over to my sister's house and have breakfast (Pancakes!!! YAY!!!) with my family. She doesn't answer my initial call in the morning so I detour and make stops to see my dad, my surrogate dad and my cousin Emma who was baking sweet potato pie and hit a sista off with 2 slices!!! Finally I reach my sister and head to the Bronx where my family was waiting for me. I watched my nephew's lose their minds and wear themselves out playing on their new Wii. That evening I rush home to head up to Woodbury Commons with my neighbor Glenda, her niece Amani & her sister for the Black Friday Sales! We leave our block at approximately 10:45pm. It's a 45 minute ride. We get stuck in traffic for 4 hours between exits 15 & 16 on the thruway...the outlet was off exit 16!!! We arrive at the Nike Outlet at 5am. Never again.

12/29 - I am doing end of the year cleaning with my monster when I manage to trip over a garbage bag, fall flat on my face (Literally), my glasses get smashed into my face and I bust up my ribs on the way down. Fortunately the glasses didn't shatter so I wind up with cuts & bruises on my nose, a scratched up hand, banged up ribs and a black eye. My monster is playing records (remember those?) and has his back turned to me as I nearly topple over the turntable trying to break my fall....this mofo has the NERVE (for a second ya'll) to prepare to roll his eyes at me for making his record skip...lol...until he realizes that I actually hurt myself. I think my pride has been hurt more than anything else and I am mortified at my face in the mirror. My glasses now sit at a rather jaunty angle on my face. It ain't cute. Later on this evening I have to join my mom, stepdad, sister, brother in law & cousin for dinner at Dallas BBQ's. My face hurts.


12/31 - It's official! I am now the new booker over at IPM Models. Fallon and I get the word that the Curvation line has been discontinued by the new owners...we are BOTH totally bummed out at this news.

I am looking forward to an absolutely FABULOUS 08!


SHOUT OUT TO MARY MOORE FOR DOING THE DAMN THING! Let's continue to do BIG things in the new year mama! Thanks for everything.


REMEMBER TO BARACK THE VOTE IN 08' YA'LL!


Peace, Blessings and much success in the coming new year Fam!


A person is a success if they get up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do.

No comments: