Friday, December 7, 2007

Happy Birthday Mama!!

Greetings Family!

Today is my mom's birthday! And I wanted to send her a very special Happy Birthday from her first born! (Even though I know she probably won't get on the computer to check it out...lol).

Host unlimited photos at slide.com for FREE!

Host unlimited photos at slide.com for FREE!

My mom is my hero and I don't even think SHE knows how much influence she has on my life. She had me at 16 and looking back I can see how it would have been SO very easy for her to dump me off on a relative and continue to live her life. But she chose to be responsible and provide a good stable foundation in which I could thrive and be the best ME I could be. I will never forget that. She gave up her dreams to raise me and my siblings...(Few 16 year old mothers are willing to do that today). I try to live my life as a testimony to her...I never want any thing that I do in this life to embarrass her...EVER. Keeping those thoughts in my head when I come to crossroads in my life have helped me to make some very interesting decisions in my life.

My mom has always been my biggest cheerleader, as long as I can remember she has been there for me, be it, track meets, musical performances, graduations, plays, PTA meetings....It didn't matter....if it involved me...she was there and I will never, ever forget that.

My siblings and I grew up poor and on "Welly" lol...but my mama always made sure that we never FELT poor. We always had food, family, clothing, shelter, music and lots of love at our house. She was (is) a great cook and she wore out her Red covered Betty Crocker cookbook by trying most, if not all of the recipes in that book!

When I got a scholarship to private school in first grade...my journey to school went from a 5 minute one (my previous school was right next door) to an hour long bus ride downtown. I had to be up at around 6am and I remember quite a few times sharing a cup of coffee (well...SHE had coffee...I had milk with a SPLASH of coffee in it..lol) with my mom in the morning before everyone else got up.

Birthdays were special and she always made us a "Kitty Kat" cake with licorice whiskers that she got out of one of her cookbooks...or pancakes with smiley faces for breakfast! As moms go...mine was pretty darn cool.

My mom was a Diva before I even knew the word existed. She rocked platinum blonde wigs and afros before the trend was popular. AND she was quite the looker...I loved dragging my mom to my private school and showing her off...I knew she was always gonna be the most beautiful woman in the room and she was!

As I got older and much more active...I took my mom everywhere with me....My girl went to parties, bus rides, ski trips....you name it we did it...and we had a blast! Btw...the bottom photo is of me and my mom at an event at The Celebrity Club in Harlem (It's now where the Harlem Children's Zone sits) in 1976...lol...I was 16 years old! The top photo is from hmmm...I think 1967...which would have made me er...SIX!!!! (I was a big 6 year old wasn't I?)

So I decided to take this moment to let the world know how much I love my mom and my goal is to make enough money to allow her to live in ways that she's probably never even dreamed of. This is why I am constantly on her to take better care of herself and just hang in there until it happens....and TRUST ME ON THIS:

IT IS HAPPENING AS I WRITE THIS.....SUCCESS IS RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER....I CAN FEEL IT....

So once I finish with this blog I am going up to her place to cook her dinner (Smothered Pork Chops and a Lemon Garlic Chicken Dish)...she thinks she's slick...I told her to pull ONE thing out of the freezer and I would cook it....Miss Thing took it upon herself to take out TWO things!!! lol...but it's cool.

She's my mom and it's her birthday....she can have whatever she wants!

Happy Birthday Mama!

I love you with all of my heart!

Enjoy your day!

MUAH!


"The commonest fallacy among women is that simply having children makes one a mother—which is as absurd as believing that having a piano makes one a musician."

No comments: