Friday, December 14, 2007

Harlem Christmas Tree Lighting 2007

Hey Ya'll!

Last night I attended the annual Christmas Tree lighting in Harlem. I almost didn't attend because the weather was so darn crappy (rain & sleet) but after my publicist called and told me the traffic was bad due to the weather and she wasn't going to make it...I decided to just go anyway...since it wasn't that far away from me at most maybe 6-7 blocks away.



I arrived at the Harlem State Office Building on Adam Clayton Powell Blvd at around 5:15pm and ran right into my girl Rasheeda Wallace (The Queen of Street Soul) who was also attending. After passing through the metal detectors we took the elevator up to the second floor. I suppose we were a bit early because there were only a few people in the Art Gallery. Miss Rasheeda knows some of everyone so we wound up sitting and waiting in the offices of the building manager, Mr. Willie Walker. We were just getting comfortable when the doors opened and in walked Dr. Bob Lee of WBLS who was also on hand for the event. Dr. Bob Lee tried to convince me where we first met and tried to bet me $500 bucks that I was wrong....lol..needless to say...I didn't take THAT bet! (Lol...we met at the reception for Ebony Fashion Fair at The Alhambra Ballroom Bob!) And let me tell you about Miss Rasheeda!!! Girlfriend can work the hell out of a room...baby she left the office and came back like 10 minutes later with EVERYBODY'S business cards!! (You GO Girl!) Shortly after some conversation and chit chat...in the doors walked the host for the evening...Mike Woods...the Weather Authority AND resident cutie on Good Day New York.

Rasheeda and I headed to the main room where folks gathered and made speeches,African drummers performed, invited guests celebrated the holidays with a song, the Vy Higginson Gospel Choir performed as did a group of dancers/singers from the Impact Repertory Theater....I enjoyed them very much! Santa worked the room spreading good cheer and all was well until Mike Woods introduced me as the er...SECOND Original Runway Diva! lol...

Now family...ya'll KNOW me...so you know my voice came from the back of the room..."HOLD UP??? Did you just say SECOND??? SECOND???? and at that point I took the stage, took the mic and politely corrected him on my title!!! I quickly forgave him, said a few words of holiday cheer and sent them all to my website...so that this would never happen again! He was very apologetic and VERY CUTE Ya'll!! Mmm-Hmmm... This was his fourth year hosting this event and it was clear that he was having a great time! After the program and some photo ops...there was a countdown and all the children (and adults..lol) headed to the window to watch the tree light up! Hot Chocolate and doughnut bites were provided by Dunkin Donuts and although the weather kept us from actually being outside (Jesus is REAL Ya'll...cuz you KNOW I didn't want to stand out in the cold!) The event was wonderful anyway!

Special thanks to Keith Forest, Mary Moore, Rasheeda Wallace & Dr. Bob Lee...lol..you know why!

On another note...I had to leave the party and head over to a wake for Mr. Leonard Parker, who passed away earlier this week. I have known Mr. Parker since I was 14 years old and most recently we worked together on a show he was producing called "Reflections of Time". I was very saddened to hear of his passing.

My condolences go out to the Parker family at this time.

"Ask your children two questions this Christmas. First: "What do you want to give to others for Christmas?" Second: "What do you want for Christmas?" The first fosters generosity of heart and an outward focus. The second can breed selfishness if not tempered by the first."

No comments: