Sunday, March 2, 2008

Birthday Dinner 2008 - Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. NYC









As February came to a close, I met my friend's at The Bubba Gump Shrimp Company, for a final birthday dinner. This is a tradition that we have had for many, many years now. A group of us get together and take the birthday person out to dinner to celebrate their most special day. I don't know why on earth I picked Bubba Gump's except that it was the first thing that popped into my mind when asked where I wanted to go.

As I departed from the A train at 42nd street (44th st exit) and walked the single block to the restaurant, I got a phone call from Miss Eda telling me that no one was at the restaurant and she had gone up the street to have a pre-dinner cocktail. I continued on to the restaurant and saw my group immediately. I called Miss Eda back and she hoofed it back to Bubba Gump's. We found out that it would be an additional 35 minute wait for our large party and we decided to wait upstairs at the bar to pass the time away. The bar was crowded but we managed to snag several seats and we quickly got seated and ordered a round of pomegrante margarita's from the bar (they were just okay - not "pomegranty" enough for me).

By the time we were gonna order a second round of drinks, our tables were ready. Joining me for dinner were organizer and my best friend Gwen "Diva" DeVoe, Tonya "T-Boogie" Giddens, Linda "The Dancing Machine" Mann, Laura Burwell, Eda Francois, Miss Clunis, Rosamund "Rosie" Fife, Madeline "Maddy" Figueroa (who came even though she was exhausted from severe jet lag following a 28 hour flight from Austrailia!), Roslyn "Rocky" Grate (who showed up in a red & white peppermint patterned mink jacket) & Muzette Charles. I don't get to see my homegirls too often this days, so it's always a joyous occasion when I DO get to see them.

Shortly after we were seated, our waiters Kai & Jenna took our drink and appetizer orders. The evening progressed smoothly from there and a little while later we were all happily ensconced in our drinks and appetizers.

Kai came over and tried to trip The Runway Diva up with a little Forrest Gump trivia, lol...little did he know that Forrest Gump is one of my All Time Favorite movies (I watch it everytime it comes on). He DID manage to stump me later with a technical question but everyone KNOWS I aced that quiz! My prize was a crown and I waited all damn night for that stupid crown!!!

After some problems with the appetizers (uh...gnats should NOT be buzzing from the appetizers when you bring them out) and the meals (a couple had to be sent back...and why would you send out an ENTIRE stalk of broccoli...lol). we all chatted and took photos as we enjoyed our dinner - when I looked up a steady stream of snow was falling on NYC.

The BGSC crew came out and completely put the Runway Diva on the spot for the silly Happy Birthday dance - I had already prepped them and told them I wasn't dancing (the knees rule me out every time!!!) but I did stand up and let them sing for me and present me with an ice cream sundae complete with whipped cream, chocolate syrup and a maraschino cherry...(lol...I am SEVERELY lactose intolerant, so I don't really mess with ice cream; I don't like whipped cream and I HATE MARASCHINO CHERRIES!!!! - so you know I wasn't TOUCHING that sundae! But the gesture was lovely and I appreciated it.

Did I mention that I finally got my er "Crown"??? Why did these kids bring me a COFFEE FILTER CROWN THAT THEY AUTOGRAPHED?????

ROFLMAO! It was the funniest thing EVER!!!

I also got recognized by a group of fabulous & thick sistas who recognized me from MFC. I found out that they work for a Harlem Based Daycare program in Marcus Garvey Park (I played in that park many times as a child). I posed for photos and exchanged information with a sister who runs the program and promised to be in touch!

As we hugged, kiss, said our goodbyes and headed out into the steadily falling snow, Diva, Muzie & I jumped on the 1 train and headed to 125th street where she parked her car and she gave us both rides home (thanks chica!)

To see The Runway Diva embarrased out of her mind - check out this clip (Thanks T-Boogie)

My very special Bubba Gump Shrimp Company Happy Birthday Song:



Diva, thanks for putting it all together, I really appreciate it!

For my friends - I love you all , thanks for always making my birthdays special ones!

Laura Burwell - it's been too long, let's not take so long between visits again!

Muzie - you were the "Surprise" of the night - your presence meant everything to me, Thank you!

"Let us be grateful to people who make us happy, they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom."

No comments: