Monday, March 17, 2008

Bitches Over Fifty (B.O.F.), Lady O & Tyne Daly



So once again - as a result of perusing the ads on Craig's List, I got another gig!

This time I am doing duty as a background singer for a spoken word artist who goes by the moniker of "Lady O". Her new single is called B.O.F. (Bitches Over Fifty) Limited Edition.... So as I was saying I answered this ad on CL that was looking for a "Aretha" type singer....now you KNOW I jumped on that....cuz I LIVE FOR ARETHA (and for you haters.....I don't care HOW she dresses -You CANNOT argue that her instrument is nothing short of phenomenal).

So I sent them some information, a photo and a link to my site and videos. I got a call a few days later and agreed to meet with them later in the week to talk. I called Jacqueline and asked if she'd come along and we wound up meeting at a cafe not far from my home and after a little confusion (there are restaurants on each end of the block with similar names) we all got comfortable as Lady O began to spell out how her interesting journey began.



After an almost two hour chat, I was definitely interested in being a part of what she was doing. They told me the show was being held on April 10th in Nyack, NY. I had my first rehearsal with Lady O, her sister and show producer Annette, Lady O's daughter, the band (who are really awesome ya'll), a rapper named 2-Can (love him - writes lyrics that might have a curse word in it but HE won't say it!!!) and the background singers (Maria & Gail) and it went really well - there's a lot of improv going on and I get to create harmonies whenever and where ever I hear them and for me that's really cool.

Hey! I almost forgot to mention that when I boarded the cross town bus to head over to 11th Avenue (where rehearsals are held), I took a seat near the back exit and found myself sitting across from none other than actress Tyne Daly (Cagney & Lacey & Judging Amy).


Mother Tyne was rocking a spiky platinum blonde do' and seemed to be very interested in whatever she was reading. She has a really "Stern & Serious" air to her that emanates from her every pore and even I knew enough not to approach her - I didn't want to get cussed out (not to say that she would actually DO that but that how it LOOKED to me!). Anyway, as the bus headed to Ninth Avenue, she jumped up as if she had missed her stop - because it was raining hard, it was difficult to see out of the window. So as she stood up OVER me trying to look out the window - I looked up at her and said "we are on 9th Avenue". She looked down at me and gave me the most beautiful smile and replied "thank you very much" and then I quickly threw in "I am a really big fan of your work - I really enjoy what you do", she smiled again at me said thanks and took her seat. That acknowledgement was enough for me and I left her to her thoughts.

It was really cool meeting her though....lol...but I wasn't ABOUT to ask her for a photo....I just instinctively KNEW that wouldn't be a good idea! She appears to be really private.

But back to Lady O & B.O.F.'s.....Most of the show is about men and menopause and it is absolutely hilarious - Lady O bills herself and her show as a cross between "Bette Midler & Chris Rock". She is so filled with energy that I swear to you - it wears me out watching her.

I am very excited about this show ya'll and as a "B.O.F.I.T., myself.... (B.O.F. In Training), I tell you it's not to be missed. For more information on the show check out Lady O's website:


We will be performing at Riverspace (http://www.riverspace.org/) in Nyack, New York on Thursday, April 10th at 8pm, Tix are $28.00 and the best part of it is that once you have confirmed purchase of your ticket - they will provide FREE round trip transportation for you if necessary - BUT you have to reserve a spot on the bus AFTER you have purchased your ticket.

"A woman is like a tea bag, you never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water."

No comments: