Saturday, March 22, 2008

Popeye's on 125th & St Nick Bites The Dust????



The former home of KFC on 125th and 8th (er...no more chicken for YOU...Linda Mann!)

Gasp Family!!!!

I just exited the train station at 125th & St. Nicholas Ave and saw that my beloved Popeye's on the corner was shuttered!!!! I don't know about anyone else but absolute TERROR struck my heart when I saw that.

For all you NYC "Party People In the Know".....this particular Popeye's is generally open until like 2-3 o'clock in the morning....so it's where EVERYONE who is ANYONE will stop off for some late night munchies after a full night of partying. Lol....ain't nothing like some fried chicken and biscuits to sop up all that Hennessy/Grey Goose/Alize/Remy Martin/Champagne.....lol...you get the picture-right fam?

Anywhoo, I can personally recall MANY a night when a carload of me and my inebriated friends have stumbled into this Popeye's on a late nite chicken run....lol....the chicken would be so good, fresh & hot and we were usually TIPSY & STARVING so we'd be eating that food right in the car!!!

If you wanted to hang and try to sober up a bit after partying......Everybody KNEW it was either Popeye's or M&G's Diner (down home country cooking at its finest) on the next corner if you wanted to eat UPTOWN......late at night.

After walking the length of the block on 125th Street between Frederick Douglas Blvd (8th Avenue) and St Nick....I also saw that all of those buildings located on 8th Avenue; KFC, Bobby's Happy House....(lol...the record shop with the shoe store for chicks like myself with big feet, in the back), my beloved shoe repair shop and many of the other business are rapidly shutting down making way for the excavation & construction (that I wrote about here last year) to begin probably by this summer. The only thing that seems to be hanging on till the last minute is Manna's (dang!!! The one on 8th Ave is the best of ALL of them!!!), The Roti Hut (great chicken Rotis ya'll), & the fish place on the corner of 126th St. Everything else is going or gone......

I wondered aloud if the same person who bought out that strip of properties on 8th Avenue had acquired the properties on St Nick and was beginning to force the business to all close too.

WHAT ARE WE SUPPOSED TO DO NOW?????? Do we REALLY have to go DOWNTOWN to get late night munchies now????

But fear not, nosy person that I am....you KNOW I asked a few of the owners of the businesses on St. Nick what the deal was and they told me that they were most definitely NOT closing and NO, the same person who bought the buildings on 8th Avenue is NOT the same owner of their buildings....AND.....

(Drum roll please.......)

They told me that my beloved Popeye's is under going a massive renovation and will definitely be opening back up shortly!!! It looks like the renovation may be extended to Dunkin' Donuts as well.

YAY!!!!

Yo, on the real tip.....Let's hope they get some more English speaking folks behind the counter at Popeye's because that language barrier thing is NO JOKE!!!!! Having to repeat your order six and seven times before they understand what the hell you are ordering is not funny!!!!

Anyway, have a great day family!!!

Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better.

1 comment:

Sneaker15 said...

Dear Runway Diva,

Thank you for your information. I to was shocked that Popeyes was closed. I didn't want to have to walk down to Lexington ave and 125 where the other Popeyes is to get some chicken. Their chicken is nasty and I only eat at the one on 125th and St. Nick. I am glad to hear that it will be returning soon. They should know that you can't fuck with Black people and their chicken.