Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Bye Bye Birdie Remake in the Works?

Gasp!!!! Could it possibly be true? Are Musicals making a return to the big screen??? From Broadway World.....

Adam Shankman has been signed on to develop and produce a remake of Bye Bye Birdie for Columbia Pictures. Shankman has directed Bedtime Stories and Hairspray.

Producers Doug Wick and Lucy Fisher of Red Wagon will join Shankman, while Jennifer Gibgot will executive produce.

When a major rock`n`roll star arrives in a small Iowa town for a contest, a local songwriter tires to get him to record one of his songs.

'Bye Bye Birdie' centers around a character loosely based on Elvis Presley. He is going to be shipped off to the army, but before he goes he agrees to one last encounter with a fan.

The 1958 musical has had several screen adaptations, including the most well known Ann-Margret and Dick Van Dyke version in 1963 which was produced by Columbia Pictures.

ARE musicals making a comeback? I certainly hope so! It took me a very long time to get around to seeing Hairspray the movie...but once I saw it I was HOOKED!!! I loved EVERYTHING that he (Adam Shankman) did with this movie and I watch it each and everytime it comes on cable and I have commited a number of the songs to memory. "Bye Bye Birdie" was one of my early exposures to Broadway Musicals, we performed it in High School and I knew immediately that this was something that I wanted to do......

Yeah...I admit it. I'm STILL a "musical theater whore"....
"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."
~Berthold Auerbach

No comments: