Sunday, September 7, 2008

Abby Z Opens New Boutique in Soho!!!


Yesterday afternoon, I had the pleasure of attending the "Big Sexy Launch Party" for plus sized designer Abby Z's new boutique in Soho....The weather, although absolutely dreadful in the early morning hours briefly cleared up for a few hours for the opening. I was scheduled to meet up with my girl Mia Amber at the store at 1pm and we both managed to be a tiny bit late.....as I was walking up Broadway in search of the Greene Street address I got a phone call from Mia in a taxi saying she was close. So I picked up the pace in my lime green pumps and hoofed it to the boutique.

One of the first things I noticed upon my arrival was the beautiful orange & white signature banner hanging out front. I gotta tell you family...the store is absolutely magnificent....lots and lots of space, beautiful lighting, colorful art pieces are hung throughout the store and there was also hand painted shoes and accessories displayed as well....not to mention the wonderful Abby Z signature T-Shirts & gorgeous clothing. The boutique is surrounded by some of the biggest designers on 7th Avenue - snugly located between Catherine Malandrino, John Varvatos & Nicole Miller - Abby Z is in good company and is a perfect fit.

Abby Z & Me
There was a champagne & Energy Drink bar, courtesy of Taittinger's & HER (Healthy, Energy, Revitalize) set up in the middle of the floor and the beautiful hostesses worked the floor with platters of lovely vegetarian appetizers that I believe were compliments of Islero Restaurant (247 East 50th Street). The boutique was filled with tons of well wishers and quite a few celebrities stopped by to show their support!

Camryn Manheim (The Practice) and Nikki Blonsky (Hairspray) looked absolutely beautiful in purple....which seemed to be the color of the day (Cuz Miss Abby Z was wearing it too!). I met a brother named Stafford early on who came in from Baltimore, MD to check out the boutique.....As I worked the room I chatted with plus model veteran & entrepreneur Emme (http://www.emmestyle.com/) who had her beautiful daughter along for the festivities...(the little one appears to be a budding fashion designer...she had her little "look book" with her and showed off her sketches to everyone!)
Don't fret this pic ya'll the lil' "Baby Divas" were drinking Shirley Temples...

Nikki Blonsky (Hairspray) & The Runway Diva!

I began to squeal inwardly when I looked up in the midst of talking and saw one of my longtime favorite actors, Leon (The 5 Heartbeats, Waiting to Exhale), walk through the doors. I had to quickly remember to maintain my composure because the last time I crossed paths with Brother Leon....I was much younger and to make a long story short wound up on my knees on 14th street at the sight of him...(lol...remember THAT one Diva?)














He was the perfect gentleman and happily obliged me when I asked him to pose with me!

Actor Leon (The 5 Heartbeats) & The Runway Diva!

Also in attendance were, celeb stylist Susan Moses & her design partner Sunil, Catherine Schuller (Divabetic), Crystal Cunningham (Mahoghany Magazine), Makeup Artist Roxanna Floyd (http://www.roxannafloyd.com/), Nicole Brewer, Photographer Luke Jones (http://www.lucaspictures.net/) and a beautiful plus sized model named Bridget (told you I wouldn't forget again mama). I also had the pleasure of meeting Abby's family....her amazingly stunning mother and her handsome brother....her mom was so proud of her daughter that I swear she absolutely glowed from head to toe!

Miss Nikki Blonsky made me smile for the remainder of the day when she told me she was a fan of my work on MADE (I can be so silly at times...I am always surprised when folks recognize me from that particular show!)

In one of the corners of the loft, there was an absolute CUTIE who was hand painting pumps, kids shoes, hats & bags...the results were amazing ya'll!!


I was so excited about the opening of this store because it is so very important for plus sized women to have place to come and shop for beautiful clothes (that aren't just black, navy blue, plum & brown), that fit well and are well made...in a location that's bright, airy, hip, spacious, sexy and not in someone's dark, dank, hot, basement, in the BACK of the store or in a place where you have to walk up a flight of stairs to shop!!
This opening was M-A-J-O-R for my plus sized family people. I hope that Miss Abby will start a trend in more boutique openings for women who are a size 14 and larger.....it's long overdue!


Well, somehow I just KNEW that the weather wouldn't hold up all day (we got hit with the last remnants of Hurricane Hanna) and by the time Mia, Luke & I departed, with goody bags in hand it was raining steadily....and by the time we got to the train station...I was thoroughly drenched! No matter, despite the dismal weather the forecast for my plus sized fashionistas was sunny!

Thanks Abby! I had a great time....I will definitely be in touch mama!

Abby Z's new soho boutique is located at 57 Greene Street (btwn Spring & Broome Sts)....I urge you all to come through and check her out....also word on the street is that if you check out Abby's Myspace page (www.myspace.com/abbyzdotcom) you can make an appointment for your own personal shopping experience. Check out her website (http://www.abbyz.com/) as well for more information.
"People have said there is an integrity about me, and I think there is. I don't try to follow a trend. I have my own little path."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amazing blog you have!!!!

y'all looked gorgeous!!! the pictures are so cute! that must have been such a fun party!

I loved you on FAT Chance, you're such an inspiration!!!

and it's great to see Nikki Blonsky so happy :D

have a great day! :D