Tuesday, September 9, 2008

The Budget Fashionista's 5th Anniversary Party – Housing Works NYC

Morning Family!

I got a last minute invite from my home girl Mia Amber to attend the 5th anniversary celebration for The Budget Fashionista last night. The party was held at Housing Works on West 17th Street in Chelsea. I was scheduled to meet up with Mia at 7pm in front of the venue. I arrived at about 7:05pm and there was already a nice sized line of folks waiting to get inside. I decided to walk to the front to see if Mia was already inside (she wasn’t). There was a pink carpet in front of the “Step & Repeat” that was set up in front of the venue and the photographer’s bank was already filled with paparazzi.

I was only standing outside for a few moments when I saw the familiar face of celebrity stylist Susan Moses walking up looking absolutely fabulous! We chatted for a few moments until Mia arrived and then we all made out way into the party.

I don’t know if you all are familiar with the Housing Works thrift store on 17th street but it’s pretty spacious (as thrift stores go) and the place was absolutely packed to the rafters with the juicy & the not so juicy (lol) fashionistas. Hostesses were at the door sporting “Right Fit” T-Shirts and Jeans, courtesy of Lane Bryant; holding the signature drink of the evening “The Fashionista”, (Love the name!) a combination of Vodka, Cranberry & Grand Marnier, I believe. The first thing I noticed were the mannequins at the front door adorned in Electric Blue & Hot Pink t-shirts that said “Frugal is the New Black”…You gotta love that people!

In the center of the room the DJ was busily spinning some really awesome tunes on a circular pedestal (he was really good ya’ll). We stopped of at the bar and picked up a few cocktails and were chatting up a few folks when we were approached by a chick from Lane Bryant (who was holding it down on the left side of the room) who asked us if we wanted to get fit for a free pair of jeans (You KNOW we said yes right?). At our approval mama quickly whipped out a measuring tape and began taking our measurements to get the “Perfect Fit” for our jeans. After taking our waist measurements, she determined our sizes (I was a 2 & Mia was 3) and she disappeared for a few moments then reappeared with jeans for each of us to try on. My pair fit nicely but unfortunately they were too short for me, as Mia emerged from her dressing room she told me she had the exact same problem. No worries though, I asked them if the jeans came in a Tall length and she said we could get them online….then she proceeded to give us coupons to get the jeans online for FREE (GO Lane Bryant!).

As we were leaving the jeans area, I saw two women who looked so familiar to me that I absolutely HAD to stop them – I am not all that good with names but I NEVER forget a face. The beautiful ladies were authors Donna Grant & Virginia DeBerry (Trying To Sleep In The Bed You Made) but I remembered them from when I was a newbie model on the scene in the 80’s – Donna was a highly successful plus sized model (back when it was REALLY unheard of) and Virginia was THE top booker at Big Beauties/Little Women modeling agency (which was bought and integrated into Ford Models). These ladies are pioneers in the plus modeling world. (Know your history aspiring models!)

There were really quite a few things going on at this party, towards the back there free manicures and up-to-the moment blogging courtesy of “It Girl Essentials”. Because it was so crowded the room began to get a little warm for me and I decided to step outside to get some fresh air. As I came out I saw the photographers and Channel 2 news going absolutely crazy at the sight of “How To Look Good Naked’s” Carson Kressley,

Kathryn Finney, Founder of The Budget Fashionista (A juicy sista in a FABULOUS feathered black hat) & supermodel Roshumba Williams arriving. Mia joined me outside a few minutes later and shortly after that Plus Sized Designer Monif C. arrived with her beau in tow. As we walked back in I ran into Dee Marshall (TV One’s Makeover Manor) and her friend Tyeshia Jackson as well as Lisa Sandberg (Director of Communications & PR for Charming Shoppes).

I’d managed to secure a gift bag when I initially came outside for some air, and I am glad I did because by the time I got back inside all the bags were gone. The bags were cute beige bags from Payless that were embossed with the words “I Love Shoes”, the gift bags included the latest issue of FIGURE Magazine, a pair of Assets by Sara Blakely pantyhose, and a bottle of Dashing Diva nail polish in a shade called “Kitty’s Pink Collar”.

There were also appetizers supplied by “The Works Catering” a housing works company that contributes every dollar of profit to provide medical care, job training and social services to more than 20,000 homeless New Yorkers living with HIV and AIDS. I didn’t actually eat any food this time (imagine that…lol) but every thing LOOKED delicious including the cupcakes that they presented towards the end of the evening.



As the hour grew late, Mia & I decided it was time to call it a night and after switching to our flat shoes outside (that’s how a REAL Diva does it ya’ll)…I said my goodbyes to a brother named Frederick, who told me I should come back for the Marc Jacobs benefit next month (Marc Jacobs is going to CHEW IT!!!” he proclaimed!) we walked up 8th Avenue to 23rd Street where Mia hooked up with her hubby and I hopped on the train back uptown.

Happy 5th Anniversary Kathryn, may you and your company have many more celebrations and continued success!

For more info on The Budget Fashionista check out their website(http://www.thebudgetfashionista.com/)


"We are told that talent creates its own opportunities. But it sometimes seems that intense desire creates not only its own opportunities, but its own talents."

No comments: