Thursday, September 4, 2008

Essence October "Plus Size" Issue?

What's Up Family?

I just picked up the October 2008 issue of Essence - The "Plus Size" issue with Mo'Nique rocking the Tadashi dress on the cover. Mo'Nique is also the special "guest editor" for the issue.

Everyone in the plus sized world got the word about this "all plus" issue coming out, via the web and the casting notices that went out earlier this summer. I don't know about anyone else but I was all amped up to see this issue and the first thing that came to mind when I heard about it was "It's about time." and my second thought immediately was "I hope they don't mess it up."

I gotta tell you honestly family....I was disappointed with this issue....beginning with the tiny "Plus Size Fashion Guide!" notice on the cover. Nonetheless, On the train ride uptown, I eagerly began flipping through the pages to see what familiar faces in the plus sized industry made the cut.....

Well hell....we ALL knew that Tocarra would make the issue...after her victory in Vogue Italia...how could she NOT??? Other plus sized notables: Chrisette Michelle & Jazmine Sullivan (neither of whom will readily identify with being plus sized).

Kudos to Anansa Johnson on her fashion spread...but I am wondering....all of her photos look as if they were shot in the studio...but I am left to wonder why Essence Mag, known for their beautiful on location shots....didn't think of shooting Anansa in an exotic locale (or at least exotic looking locale).
Now, I remember a few months back in the summer when the casting notices went out for this issue - It was billed as Essence Magazine first ever ALL PLUS issue....every plus sized chick in the city was amped up for this and lined up outside for the open model call.

And although I didn't personally go out for the casting....a lot of my model friends did attend and they were all excited at the prospect of being a part of this ground breaking issue. I was a little skeptical though and decided to take a "wait and see' attitude about it.

I knew something was up when the issue got pushed back from August (I think) to September and then back to October....I began making inquiries and that's when I found out that Mo' was the guest editor for the issue and then was told that the focus had changed to an "All Plus Sized CELEBRITY" issue.

As bummed as I was at hearing those words, I STILL eagerly anticipated this issue, so when I saw it on the newsstands this morning - I scooped it up quickly - and began looking for what I thought would be in an "All Plus Sized" Issue - You know.... features about plus sized women & men on the rise. The hair & makeup edits using ONLY plus sized models to illustrate...i.e. EVERYTHING in the issue having a plus sized slant to it ya know? What happened to all the women who came out for the casting and even shot for the magazine? Where are those pictures? I love Mo'Nique, Anansa & Tocarra but where are the OTHER beautiful plus sized women who are NOT a size 8 or 10 and not a celebrity? Big gals are making news and breaking down barriers everywhere. I was looking for variety in the women chosen but unfortunately got none.

I knew the "jig'"was up the moment I saw that little plus size fashion guide logo in the bottom corner of the mag. I have a 20 year history in publishing....lol...so I knew what I was gonna get the moment I saw it and my heart dropped soon after reading the entire issue. And was it me or did it appear that they used the biggest & fattest fonts they could find on this cover???..(check out an earlier issue above) lol...Although I was quite moved by Mo'Nique and her revelation of sexual abuse by a family member (which cleared up a WHOLE lot of questions I'd had in my head)...I dunno fam....I just wanted it to be so much more than it was. The cover and the accompanying story made the whole issue very dark for me and the story was so explosive that it CLEARLY overshadowed the whole "plus factor" in the issue. Essence used to be very plus friendly back in the day and I am truly wondering when, where and why they went off track and how do we (they) fix it? I can almost guarantee you that the bulk of their readers are a size 14 or larger....so I don't know what it is they are afraid of.

I suggest they try some new things...or how about this...try doing a TRULY all plus sized issue in a month that's notoriously slow in publishing (like January) do it correctly (and that's the key word) and just watch the numbers go up significantly. There have been plus sizes in fashion since the 80's at least - women who are a size 14 are larger account for 2/3 of the population AND spend upwards of 50-60 BILLION on retail fashion. We deserve better than what you are giving us.

The funny thing though is that no one seems to be talking to much about this issue - not a single word and that has me wondering why....Cuz we SHOULD be talking....

Perhaps it's time to check yourself Essence? Just a thought.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this one fam...Email me at ORIGRUNWAYDIVA@aol.com

"We may encounter many defeats but we must not be defeated."

No comments: