Thursday, September 11, 2008

Fashion Rocks 2008

Okay family.....

So I just happened to be channel surfing and came across "Fashion Rocks", now normally I wouldn't give this show a second glance because it's called FASHION Rocks but in my world Fashion does NOT end at a size 6...and that's all you're gonna see on this show. But as it happens when I tuned in it was beginning of the opening number with Rhianna. I knew from the first few bars of the music that the song that was playing was "Vogue" the Madonna classic.....complete with the "boys" voguing it out on stage with Rhianna.

Although I really love that song and she didn't do a bad job at it....I realized that I had stop listening after only a few moments because her voice isn't really filled with emotion and it began to get monotonous very quickly.

I hated the fact that host Denis Leary went from greeting the audience to insulting them by launching into the fat jokes almost immediately.


But the purpose for me writing this blog is because Beyonce came on shortly after with a tribute to legendary diva Etta James. Etta James was in frequent rotation in my house when I was a kid...lol...Everybody's mama played "At Last" into infinity but to my young ears no Etta James song was better than "Tell Mama" for me!

I'd heard from various media sites that Miss B was chosen to play Etta James in the movie bio of her life story - When I first heard this....somehow I just didn't see it....I have been following Beyonce's career for a while now and while I think she's a good singer....her acting chops have always (for me) left something to be desired......


However....I enjoyed what she did with Etta's classic song "At Last", I really thought she sang it well, she didn't overdue it or try to "riff" us all into a coma (ala the Christina Aguilera version) but she kept it clean pretty much sang it as the original while gently inflecting her own touch on it - which was refreshing for me....AND I thought she rocked the new blonde dew and the dress she was wearing.

Now I am clearly intrigued as to whether or not she (Beyonce) will actually pull this off...you DO know that Miss Etta was strung out on heroin during the peak years of her career...right fam?

I don't know about you all but I am dying to see if the director can pull "the performance of a lifetime" of her.

No matter my personal thoughts today....Miss Etta looked very pleased with the tribute and that's all that matters.

"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."

No comments: