Friday, September 5, 2008

Beacon Hills High - The New Book By Mo'Nique

Morning Family!

Did you all know that Mo'Nique has a new fiction book coming out that's geared towards teenagers? It's called "Beacon Hills High" and she penned it with Sherri McCovey McGee.

From AOL Black Voices:

By Felicia Pride

After the release of her New York Times bestselling book, Skinny Women Are Evil and a cookbook, Skinny Cooks Can't Be Trusted, comedian turned entertainment entrepreneur Mo'Nique is spreading her literary wings again. She's dropping a young adult novel this September.

In keeping with her theme of empowerment for thicker sisters-Beacon Hills High (Amistad/Harpercollins), is being described as a coming-of-age story that deals with body image, adjusting to change, and being comfortable in one's skin-issues that definitely affect teenage girls.

The book was co-written with Sherri McGee McCovey, who also cowrote the comedian's other two books, and is a producer of Mo'Nique's F.A.T. Chance.

Check out the book's synopsis:

Getting into Millwood High, the "tightest" high school in Baltimore, is all that's been consuming thirteen-year-old F.A.T. (Fabulous And Thick, that is) Eboni Michelle Imes. When she's accepted, all that she can think about are four years of fun with her best friends, Michelle, Yolanda, and Charisse-the TTC (the Too Tight Crew).
But life has other plans for Eboni. When her father finally lands his dream job, everyone is excited-except Eboni. While Dad's new business venture means moving the family to glamorous Los Angeles, for Eboni it means moving away from her friends, her crush Vincent, and everything she has ever known.

Beacon Hills sounds like a play on Baldwin Hills, a wealthy area in Los Angeles that BET produced a show around.

Anyway, I do look forward to this. I'm all for anything designed to get our young people reading.


Boy! Am I in agreement with that last statement...I have never met so many young people who absolutely HATE to read. I simply do not understand it...I am an avid reader and the sort of reader who likes to visualize what I am reading....I have always used it as an escape from everyday ordinary life....Reading allowed me to dream big and want to explore the places that I read about and it educated me on the things that I most definitely wanted to avoid in life.

And although I am NOT the greatest fan of "Ghetto Street Lit" written totally in ebonics...if they are picking up the books at ALL - I guess it's a good thing. So yeah....I guess I am all for anything designed to get our young people reading too!

The book sounds interesting....i'mma see if I can get a copy from the library (remember those? lol) to read - and I'll let you know my thoughts later fam!


"The elementary school must assume as its sublime and most solemn responsibility the task of teaching every child in it to read. Any school that does not accomplish this has failed."

No comments: