Monday, February 11, 2008

Amy Winehouse on The Grammy Awards

At 9pm last night, while channel surfing back and forth between "The L Word" (will definitely blog about the new season of this show later on) and "Def Comedy Jam"....I realized I was missing the Grammy Awards....I hurriedly tuned in just in time to catch the musical performances of Beyonce & The Legendary Tina Turner...which I thoroughly enjoyed....they both looked and sounded great...Miss Tina looked AWESOME (Heck!! I wanna look like that at 61!!!) and you haters can talk all you want....Miss Beyonce is all right with me. This was a great "passing of the torch" moment.

Beyonce/Tina Turner's 2008 Grammy Performance - Proud Mary





But let's talk for a moment about Miss Amy Winehouse....Shall we?



Unfortunately, once again The Grammy Awards Show failed to hold my attention for the entire broadcast, as it has done in years past....so I kept channel surfing...but I managed to go back to channel 2 just as they were announcing Amy Winehouse's performance, live via satellite....(ya'll know with all her drug troubles and arrests splattering the front pages of EVERY TABLOID IN AMERICA....Miss Thing had a bit of trouble getting a Visa to get over to the US to perform live).

Amy Winehouse's Grammy Performance Medley - No Good/Rehab





But back to the broadcast...lol...How high do you think she actually was??? She nearly had me fooled until the second song....Mama's frenzied, frenetic, drug tinged (?) performance was all over the place, she was rocking back & forth, altering the lyrics sometimes until they were almost incomprehenisble....("They tried make me go to rehab I said No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no...ROFLMAO!) the only thing she WASN'T doing was er..."the dopefiend scratch"....I couldn't tell at first if she was high or not but by the end of her new interpretation of "Rehab"...it was clearly evident that she was on SOMETHING....But the "Ki-Ki' is this:

EVEN IN HER ADVANCED STATE OF INEBRIATION....SHE SOUNDED BETTER THAN MOST OF THE STUFF I HEAR ON THE RADIO EVERYDAY!!!! She has one of the most distinctive sounding voices I have heard in a very long time.....she has a phenomenal career ahead of her - IF she can get it together.

I don't know about anyone else, but this was real hard to watch for me. I am a big fan of her music and her talent and I want her to stay here long enough to record her legacy in music. I am praying that this sister gets herself together and/or gets some help before she crashes and burns.....permanently.

The Runway Diva is rooting for you Mama!

I was gonna end this particular blog on the Amy Winehouse note but my girl T-Boogie just called and asked me what I thought of "The Time's" performance...er...OBVIOUSLY I missed that one (lol...I didn't even know they were scheduled to perform) but I checked it out on YouTube this morning:

Rhianna with Morris Day & The Time - Umbrella/Don't Stop The Music





Quite frankly that "Umbrella" song by Rhianna was the bane of my existence ALL LAST SUMMER!!! So needless to say, I wasn't all that impressed with this new interpretation of that annoying song. I DID however enjoy Morris Day & The Time and I was truly enjoying "Jungle Love" but I do wish I could have seen more of them...(I could have done without that "Don't Stop The Music" Song....didn't like it at all.)

Kanye West's Performance dedication to his mother nearly moved me to tears. I don't know how he got through it without crying....my heart goes out to him. The next album he puts out will be either God awful or Friggin' Brilliant....pain tends to bring out the best in an artist...crazy ain't it?





I also caught MY GIRL & 20 Time (20 BABY!!! COUNT EM") Grammy Award Winner Aretha Franklin with BeBe Winans (Hmmm...I almost didn't recognize Bebe...he's lost quite a bit of weight...no matter though, he looked good), The Clark Sisters (I loved what they were wearing ya'll...the crisp white shirts and the long satin skirts looked beautiful to me), Trintee 5:7 & Israel & The New Breed. Now you KNOW Miss Ree-Ree is my IDOL so I am NOT about to say anything bad about her OR what she was wearing.....I just need to know WHO KEEPS PUTTING SPAGHETTI STRAPS ON HER DRESSES AND WHERE ARE THEY GETTING THE MATERIALS FOR THE STRAPS!!!!?????





Anyway, the last time I tuned back in...I just caught Herbie Hancock getting his award for Album of The Year. Who da' Thunk It?

You know I used to LOVE the grammy's and I swear as a musican....I looked forward to seeing them every year....but I have been so disappointed by the last couple of broadcast that my interest is waning....and for me...

That's a Shame. But I am eternally hopeful....I will still tune in again next year.


Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.

No comments: