Monday, February 18, 2008

Winter Explosion 2008 - Patti Labelle

Hey Family!!!

This is the weekend leading up to my birthday and I am amped....I am on my way up to The Hudson Valley Resort and Spa in upstate NY for the Annual Winter Explosion 2008. Winter Explosion 2008 is a ski weekend that's mainly for "The Boys" ....lol...but a lot of women couples have begun to take part as well. I haven't been since 2002 designer Franklin Rowe took a group of models up to do a fashion show.


This organization (run by Don Johnson) goes ALL out for their events....for more about what they do


Well...I didn't ACTUALLY go for the ENTIRE ski trip...actually my girl Eda & her partner Becky went and the treated me to a ticket to the Sunday performance of Miss Patti Labelle. Oh wait!!! Did I say that Winter Explosion books some of the biggest acts ever for their annual event??? In the past they have had Faith Evans, Alyson Williams, Martha Wash, Chaka Khan, Jennifer Holliday, Regina Belle, Ann Nesby, Vesta Williams, Rachelle Ferrell & CeCe Peniston....Need I say anymore???

I met up with two brothers named Billy & Wyatt...who so graciously agreed to allow me to ride with them up to the resort. After a bit of confusion about my ride pick up....lol...it was comical...we got underway close to 6pm and I gotta say the ride was actually pretty quick. Billy and Wyatt were absolutely wonderful to be around and we basically chatted and listened to music until Wyatt and I both fell asleep.

I found out from Eda in advance that the "theme" for this year's concert was "A Black & White Masquerade Ball"....when we pulled up....the kids did NOT disappoint...I have never seen so many beautifully and elegantly dressed black folks in a while....it was refreshing to see! The masks were elaborate & beautiful as well. As soon as I crossed the threshold into the lobby I began seeing people I knew...after briefly saying hello to designer Vernest C. Moore & Eric Ellen...I scanned the long line looking for my friends and quickly spotted Eda, Becky & Dede. I got my ticket ran upstairs to put my bag down (I was supposed to be returning to NYC immediately following the after party) and quickly joined them inside.

As I took my seat, I saw that there was a lively game of "The Newlywed Game" going on hosted by Racine, who came in from Washington, DC I believe...HE was hilarious. Also joining Racine on stage was poet ButtaFly Soul - Baby! THIS brother is a wordsmith....it goes FAR BEYOND simple poetry....his shyt makes you think.

Well, after the game, a few singers, some giveaways and some impressive stalling by the staff...lol...(we KNEW ya'll were stalling...) The lights went down and Miss Patti took the stage! I put down my drink and grabbed Miss Eda's camera (Can you all believe I actually forgot my damn camera!!!!) and ran down front...baby I was close enough to Miss Patti to see the veins on her legs...lol.....she was amazing....sang her butt off and the Diva KEPT CHANGING SHOES!!!! Miss Lady had her piano lined with Christian Loboutin PUMPS!!!! Eda & I were SCREAMING!!!!!... AND get this...she brought some folks onstage to sing....she pulled one brother up front...who quickly announced that he wanted to dance...The Diva gave him the floor and HE DANCED HIS AZZ OFF YA'LL!!!!! He was so good that Miss Patti let him STAY on stage and she sang as SHE choreographed his moves!!!! It only took me a moment to realized why the brother looked familar to me!!! It was Billy....the brother that I rode up with!!! I was on my feet cheering him on!!! I felt good FOR him ya'll....he was simply put...amazing.

lol....it's too bad I don't have the pictures I took....hopefully someone will send me some shots for this blog.

After the concert folks began heading to the ballrooms for the open bar (Top Shelf Ya'll) and parties....at around 2am...I realized I hadn't eaten and I also found out that I was actually going to be returning the next day on the bus with Eda, Becky & Dede. We went off to get something to eat and I wound up ordering buffalo wings and fries....I ate them and then went immediately back to partying. I had a great time and all was well with the world....I don't know what time we actually headed to our rooms....But...

At around 5am my stomach awakened me with an attitude...A REAL ATTITUDE!!! I hit the floor running because I realized I was in the midst of er..."The Bubbly". It didn't take me long to realize that it was the wings & fries that did me in...because that was all that I had eaten. I got back in bed a little while later and didn't awaken again until I heard Becky trying to get dressed quietly...lol...she informed me that we had 30 minutes left until breakfast ended, so I decided to shower quickly and try to get something to settle my stomach.

I was feeling okay and was actually looking forward to a cup of coffee and entered the almost full ballroom....the breaksfast spread was lovely, pancakes, sausage, Bacon, grits, eggs, potatoes...all of the food groups!!! Normally I would have been giddy but the moment the smell of all that food hit my nose...my damn stomach started twitching again....

I bypassed the buffet and decided to get some fruit....I didn't see Becky in the dining room so I took my plate and sat at a table in the back and off to the side. There was one young lady sitting there eating her breakfast in her pajamas and I decided to join her. The table was preset with settings, glasses & pitchers of water & juice. The waiter brought me a cup of coffee and I really did try to eat some fruit...I took a sip of coffee, decided it was too sweet and then the room began to spin....I realized that I wasn't going to be able to stop anything...or get out of that dining room before anyone saw what was happening....

Okay. Stop reading here if you DON'T want to be grossed out.

Remember.....I warned you.

As my diaphragm began to convulse and I began breaking out in a sweat...I had no choice but to quickly grab a glass from the table, put my head down and deposit half the contents of my stomach into that drinking glass.

Now I am sitting there holding a water goblet of last night's snack down on the chair and in absolute HORROR, I realize that I WASN'T as fast as I thought and some of it actually made it onto the tablecloth...I had about 15 seconds before I had to grab a second glass and deposit THE REST of my stomach contents in that glass too. When I lifted my head back up to the table, the sweat was pouring down my face and all I could think of was:

"Now what am I supposed to do with these two glasses of last night's snack and how do I get out of this dining room unnoticed?????

I saw that the coffee station had a large gray bin for dishes etc...that was empty...I very quietly placed the two glasses in it...covered it up, grabbed a towel, returned to the table and tried to clean up the mess that I had made......as discreetly as possible.

I left that dining room embarrassed to my very core...sick as dog and definitely ready to come home.

Oh yeah...and home girl who sat at the table with me?

She never even looked up from her breakfast plate.



"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst, for they are sticking to their diets."

No comments: