Sunday, February 10, 2008

Happy 45th Birthday Deb Divah!!!

Happy Birthday to ya, Happy Birthday to ya...Happy Birthday!!

Friday night I mustered up the energy to put on some clothes and make it down to my home girl (and Scrabble Bud) Debbie's 45th Birthday. I have known Deb for quite a few years now and if you follow my blog..you know that I am always trying to drag her somewhere with me...lol. But I digress...This would be my first opportunity to meet some of her friends and "exes"....lol. Inviting exes always makes for good party conversation...lol.

Anyway, I was supposed to drag Jacqueline with me (since she lives nearby) but she backed out on me at the last minute because she had a test the next day. So I jumped on the bus and took the short ride to 103rd st. Actually, I have grown quite accustomed to that area from Columbus Ave to Amsterdam Ave. My home girl Bev Howard lived at 784 Columbus for YEARS, Crazy ass Carlton lived on Amsterdam & My Homeboy Ronn Thornton(RIP Boo!) lived right around the corner from Carlton!!!

Well Deb lives right smack in the middle and it took all the energy I had NOT to roll up at her "Red Carpet/Black Tie" event in my jeans & multi colored Nikes!! So I put on some black velvet jeans, boots & a sparkly top and my best party face and walked the short walk from the M11 bus stop to her house. We'd had a practice make up run the night before, that turned out well so I had my tools (lol...brushes) and my makeup in my bag.



As I was heading to the entrance to her building, I ran into old school DJ Reggie Wells...who lol...never seems to remember who I am, unless I mention Diva (which I did...lol...again). We chatted for a moment and he gave me a flyer to his next party and I bid him farewell. When I entered Deb's apartment, the party was in full swing! She (Deb) loves decorating and throwing parties (I think Halloween is her favorite holiday) so I wasn't surprised that she had the Red Carpet laid out, the walls in her hallway were filled with lights and "Walk of Fame" stars for her guests to sign and the walls of her living room were covered with tables for 6, each with a bottle of champagne and a chandelier hanging over each table. She also had a mock stage with red velvet curtains for photographs, a mock film strip hung from window to wall and a beautiful spread of munchies including fresh steamed shrimps, crudites, meats and assorted cheeses, chicken wings & dips.

The birthday girl was all done up in an evening dress by Igigi (lol...my gift) with her hair pulled back in an elegant ponytail. She looked great and she was really happy so I didn't want to mess up her vibe, so we skipped the whole makeup/lashes thing...since the evening was getting late. As I entered the living room I introduced myself to a brother named Dwight (or Dwayne...hmmm...I am not sure) who was very nice but pretty much kept to himself all night. A beautiful lady who works in the same office as Deb's roommate Deb. Yeah..Deb's roomie's name is Debbie too! (But we will call her "Dubby" so as not to confuse you) I cannot remember her name but I remember thinking that she was just really beautiful! She made Deb a Red Velvet Cake for her birthday - Dang ya'll!!! That was the best red velvet cake I have had in a good long while!!! I ate EVERY bite - INCLUDING the cream cheese frosting!!! Also seated in the living room was Deb's longtime buddy, Sparky. I hadn't seen him in a minute...so it was good to reconnect.

As I moved on to the back of the house in search of the birthday girl, I saw a beautiful painting that's supposed to be a likeness of Deb that Dubby painted. It was Deb facing the sun...arms outstretched...weave flowing!!! I have a Diana Ross "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" moment every time I look at it. I also met one of her exes who, henceforth and forever more will be christened "Uncle Fester" because I swear to Goodness...THAT'S WHO HE LOOKED LIKE TO ME!!! The brother had a little er "dif-few-cul-tee" with the english language....I will only linger on this long enough to say...that brother provided me with laughs the ENTIRE night....nope make that the ENTIRE WEEK!!! God Bless Him. He was in Dubby's room with her and another chick that I didn't know.

I went into Deb's room and found her, her friend Don (newly christened "Scooby"), her cousin Gina & as we were talking the sister who was in Dubby's room made her way over to us and introduced herself. Her name was Allison and she was a little ol thing with this beautiful tattoo on her upper back. It was a dedication to her late parents and although I thought the tattoo was really beautiful and I photographed it....I will respect her wishes and not put it on my site. The child went to make me a drink and brought me back something that I nearly choked on!!! Had to send her back several times to keep adding juice to it!!! lol.

The group was small but lively and I actually wound up having a great time lol..AFTER we turned off the lovely jazz music that Deb was playing and hooked up my Ipod to play my specially created "Deb's Birthday Mix" at the last minute!! Lolololol

After an interesting game of "How Do YOU Know Deb"? The Deb Divahs tried valiantly to get a murder mystery game going but their plans were quickly thwarted by Allison...ROFLMAO....who CLEARLY wanted NO PARTS of any game playing.

Later on we were joined by Deb's friend Denise - who I have personally christened "Marvin & Tammi" (after watching her show up dressed as Marvin Gaye AND Tammi Terrell at one Halloween party!) and a friend of Gina's showed up towards the later hours.

The Champagne was flowing, the convo was flowing...er...for most of us...lol and after Deb began opening her gifts, the party was moving along nicely. We all gathered in the hallway to sign our "Stars" on the Wall of fame and after we sang happy birthday...the party began winding down. At around 3am - I scooped up my Ipod and announced that I was going home. Deb looked tired and folks were clearly NOT taking the hints...lol...when the music stops AND the liquor is gone AND the HOST has gone to bed, er...that's a pretty good sign that the party is over!!!!

Lol...I had a great time and you know I was back over there bright and early the next day for the post party wrap up!!!

Love Ya D! Happy Birthday Chica!

The more you praise and celebrate your life, the more there is in life to celebrate.

No comments: