Friday, February 29, 2008

Walter Greene's GEM Mag Cover Party - Harlem NYC







I had the pleasure of attending a special party thrown in celebration of fashion guru Walter Greene's cover of GEM Magazine. GEM is a full colour glossy magazine that is 8 1/2" X 11" in size. It is published in Guyana every two months: February, April, June, August, October and December. The magazine is filled with world-class photos, fascinating features and thought-provoking columns.

I had gotten a call from Walter while I was up in Buffalo shooting with Blur Custom Dezigns (See blog) who gently reminded me that I had not RSVP-ed for his party (lol...in typical Runway Diva tradition) so I quickly took the number from him and rsvp-ed for myself and 1 guest (I had no clue at this point, who i'd be dragging with me).

I spent the day in the office and made arrangements via telephone with Jacqueline (who I had convinced to join me - again...lol) and we agreed we'd meet at 6:15pm, since the party had a 6:00pm start time. The party was being held at Harlem's newest designer shoe boutique "Head Over Heels" which is located on 124th st & St Nicholas Avenue. After I left the job at 4pm to return Qristyl's dress to her (thanks mama!), I jumped on the train and made a pit stop at my girl Deb's house to kill time till the party. I was wearing jeans & a green turtleneck and decided to go home and change into something a little more dressy (since the party was literally around the corner from me....) but those plans went out the window after waiting for the M104 for nearly 15 minutes in the bitter cold. THEN getting a bus and being dumped off at 124th & Broadway as the driver announced that Broadway would be the last stop. I was pissed because I can usually convince a driver to let me ride with them up to Convent Avenue so i'd be closer to my place. But after waiting another 10 minutes to catch another M104, I decided NOT to go home (because I was freezing and I KNEW I wouldn't come back out!) and just catch the BX15 across town to St Nicholas Avenue.

When I arrived at Head Over Heels, I felt like a big popsicle....chilled to the bone. I looked around for Jacqueline, didn't see her and hurriedly made my way inside. The boutique had been transformed with flowers, h'orsdoeuvre's beautifully laid out and Model Michelle Kurbanali served as the Bar-Mistress. The lovely Michelle was also winner of the `Face of Shabeau' cover model search 2007. The first person I saw was the legendary Audrey Smaltz, who after giving me a "gentle" poke about Rip The Runway (Audrey was instrumental in getting that whole mess worked out)...I made my way to the coat check, grabbed a glass of champagne and waited for Jacque to arrive.

When I returned from the coat check, I saw that Jacque had just made her way inside and as I went to greet her, I began seeing folks that I hadn't seen since we were all in Guyana last August for Fashion Week - RunwayNews.com founders Nicole Clarke & her husband (dang! I can't remember his name either and I see him all the time!!! Apologies love), Designer Donna Dove (Walter was dressed in head to toe Donna Dove and looked fabulous!),Former Editor in Chief at BELLE Magazine (currently at Black Enterprise) Sonia Alleyne, Kirk Shannon-Butts from Glamour Magazine, Designer Cleon Cummings, Models Somaya, Angel, Naeon, India , musician Ejyp, Khadijah Nicholas "Miss Trinidad & Tobago of New York 2006, Frederick Adams & ANTM contestant Camille McDonald all came out to wish Walter well.

My girl and model extraordinaire Lene Hall was holding it down in true hostess fashion (this child is so beautiful and long and lean that it's disgusting!!!...lol...love you boo!), she introduced me to her very handsome fiance and told me that they are officially engaged. I was very happy for him....he is the nicest brother! Congrats ya'll!!!

As the evening wore on modeling legends Renauld White & the ever beautiful Angellika (draped in mink) walked through the doors. For those of you who DON'T know your history.....Renauld is the 1st African American Model to appear on the cover of GQ Magazine in 1979.....He seemed surprised that I told him I was a fan of his work - lol...he thought the I was younger than I am).

I convinced Jacqueline to try a spring roll that I had just picked up, dipped in some sort of spicy dipping sauce and was just absolutely amazing! It really was.

I also met a beautiful, coffee colored, African sister with a shaved head who told me that I stopped her on 125th street and told her she should consider modeling - she took my advice and was now doing exactly that. Her words made me feel really good. Thank you beautiful one.

I briefly got to chat with photographer Donn Thompson, who was looking real sharp in his suit (I am not accustomed to seeing him dressed up like that) and sharing the hosting responsibilities with Miss Lene.

The party was scheduled to end at 10pm, I think....but as you all know I have been running for the last two weeks and I was simply put - exhausted. After shooting a whole bunch of Guyana Fashion Week/Kaieter Falls reunion photos ....lol...I signaled to Jacqueline that it was time to go.
I retrieved my coat and picked up a lovely gift bag from Lene that had some samples of the Thierry Mugler fragance "Alien" courtesy of Lorna Welshman-Neblett. (Loving the "Alien" Miss Lorna!!!)

I grabbed my gift bag, bundled up and headed out into the cold on my way home....Mercifully Jacqueline drove and dropped me off (thanks chicklet!) and hurried home to get warm as well!

Congrats again on your cover Walter and thanks for always thinking of me!

Love Ya!

Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced.

No comments: