Tuesday, February 5, 2008

NY Fashion Week Continues......

I attended another "Fashion Week" fashion show yesterday....this one was in a Chinatown venue. I already had my day planned but Fallon called me at the last minute and asked me to attend the event with her. So I quickly got myself together and I met up with Fallon at the office and we caught a taxi downtown. The ride was uneventful except for the rude taxi driver of Eastern Indian descent....who decided that he would NOT drop us off in front of our venue on Mott Street as we requested but a 1/2 block over on Canal.

We walked the rest of the way and met 2 other models in front of the venue. I opted to take the second elevator after an asian woman decided to jump on the elevator right before the door closed....overloading it....I jumped my behind right off as they all laughed at me. Hah! I have been stuck in more than enough elevators to know that I didn't want to be stuck on THAT little one.


After getting off on the 5th floor...I realized that I had been at this spot before....my monster and I are underground "house" heads and we've attended parties that DJ Ruben Toro throws at this place before. Anyway....after checking in with the gracious sister at the door and opting not to check our coats...we got our press passes and headed straight for the bar. Their were two signature drinks being offered...one was a cocktail that was infused with violet petals...(it tasted like room deodorizer or lavender Fabuloso laundry softener)...lol. The other drink was much more to our liking....it had lime and kumquats and sour mix...not sure what the actual mixer. The main room was already set up but at 6:30pm (doors opened at 6:00pm with a 7:00pm show time) the room was still fairly empty. As I waited for the "mixologist" to finish my cocktail, two women body painted like an American flag sauntered up to the bar to try and order cocktails. They were pleasant enough to show pose long enough for me to get a pic and after they got turned down on their drink requests (No alcohol for the models until AFTER the show) they disappeared backstage.



I ran into photographer Joe Clark from Runwaynews.com who was busily setting up his cameras. Arena Turner (Mo'Nique's F.A.T. Chance Paris) was the evening's host and I looked forward to seeing her since I hadn't seen her since we hung out in Florida last summer. As we got seated in the main hall (which was decorated with balloons, flags, lights & streamers) I was dismayed as we took our seats to see several models (I will assume that they were in the show) prancing around and walking through the main hall in their underwear???. My years in production taught me that this is a big "no-no"....once the "house" is open, models are not to be seen until showtime and are relegated to the backstage area.


Shortly after arriving I ran into Tonya Giddens, who was there supporting some of her friends in the show. Sitting across the runway from me was shoe designer Etu Evans, who told me that he just returned home to NY from being on the road to find that thieves had cleaned his shop out while he was gone. I was glad to hear he was taking it in stride and not letting it affect his journey. After getting a request from the house photographer to pose for some photos, I followed her backstage and posed for a few shots. lol...the backstage area reminded me of the some of the things I went through during Guyana Fashion Week last year (Logistics, logistics, logistics ya'll!!!)...it was chaotic.....it looked to be about a hundred models, designers, hair & makeup people (okay I'm exaggerating a bit here...lol) squeezed into a space that was designed to hold say....fifty models. Get the picture??? Not enough room and by the time I got back there...it was hot and funky...


After an hour delay in the show start time....the show opened with MFC3 finalist Arena Turner entering the floor- face "Done" and hair "sitting", in a body hugging black dress by Baby Phat. This is how Miss Arena got my attention at the Dallas castings for MFC Paris....she was wearing a white Baby Phat dress that looked absolutely beautiful on her! Special note to the producers...take the time to have someone properly introduce your Host/MC for the evening....I hated the way Miss Arena was so casually introduced. But I digress....she took the stage and introduced Miss Full Figured 2008 - Yvonne Forbes who took to the runway in a bleached blonde bob. Yvonne was followed by those same two ladies painted as the flag and they came down the runway holding a banner introducing the first designer....who I believe was the same brother I met at Theresa Randolph's Miss Full Figured 2008 pageant...named Dexter Ivy. Dexter considers himself to be a jack of all trades in regards to fashion. In this instance he was in designer mode....his designs kicked off the show... he finished off his presentation with his signature walk and a young female protege.


Each segment was followed by a body painted sign card girl....and while this may have been a great novelty idea at the beginning....the novelty had worn thin on me by the third designer and I was tired of seeing them after a while. The segments by Qristal Designs & Abby Z were filled with familiar faces....veteran plus models, Jeannie Ferguson, Rocky Grate, Miss Veronica (Lord...I can NEVER remember this child's last name!!! Apologies, mama!), Miss Full Figured NY 2007...Troy Safi as well as newbies...Pamela Carrington & Christina Mendez.


By the time the 4th designer's segment was announced, I was tired and unfortunately bored....I had the same problem with this show as I did with several other's I have been to recently....someone needs to be offstage calling the show. There is no reason for me to have to sit there and watch ANOTHER MODEL pose at the top of the runway while she WAITS FOR THE PREVIOUS MODEL TO FINISH!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGHHH!!!


I can't think of ANYTHING that will make a show drag on tediously than this common error that I see many new models making.


Once again people!!! The rule is this:


(Runway Diva tip #1 - When you see a model at the end of the runway...it's time for you to WALK...if he or she is headed back when you come out...YOU ARE ALREADY LATE!!!..) In the future...have someone posted backstage to call the show.


I will never "dog" out anyone's show...(we ALL gotta start some where family!) but I do try to give honest and constructive criticism. My problems with this show are similar to the shows I have been invited to this past year, so my advice will be the same as the advice I have given in the past:


Start on Time!!!! - This is a must and one of the first things I learned while working with DSE, you must train your audiences, models, designers & staff to arrive on time...the only way to do that is to let them know that "the show must go on"....with or without you. Things can (and do) happen and human beings can be notoriously unreliable. If you only have 4 designers by show time (and you had 8 scheduled to appear) and you have 50 people in the audience (but you were expecting 150)...start your show on time for those 50 people and put on the most fabulous show ever WITH THOSE 4 DESIGNERS! It is not fair to those 50 people to hold them hostage and make them wait because the people you hired don't have enough respect for you or your audience to show up on time. Starting more than 15 minutes late is unacceptable! I learned under the tutelage of Gwen DeVoe about being punctual and I have seen her tell many a late designer/model/makeup artist/commentator that showed up late to "have a seat and enjoy the show....your scene was cut when you failed to arrive by check in time." - KNOW that at her next event, if that person was even invited back again...you can believe they were either on time or early...lol. If you have friends/audience members who insist upon arriving "fashionably late"...then they will just end up missing most of your show, sorry...that's just how it goes. Oh yeah...it helps to have a "back up plan" as well.


(FYI - Often times folks will show up late because YOU have a history of starting late...it's best to train properly them from the beginning).


Less is More - My sole purpose for attending these events is generally to see the fashion shows - I am not really interested in seeing stilt walkers, fire breathers or contortionists....get it? I thought the nude body painting was an interesting gimmick but after the 4th time of seeing those painted sign card girls....I'd had enough. Don't try to cram too many events into one evening - it drags the evening on and it only takes away from the heart of the event....the show.




Quality instead of Quantity - Try to avoid putting newbie models in your show who have absolutely ZERO experience - I don't care how beautiful they are or how many tickets they sell...it's hard to watch from an audience point of view. 9 times out of 10 most people will remember the models who were really awful and that isn't the experience you really want them to walk away with is it? Take the time to train your newbies...if you don't have enough time to get them "runway ready" then sit them in the audience and have them watch the vets to see how it's done.


My last piece of advice is strictly for my "Veterans" (and lol...you KNOW who you are!) after you have been in the business for a certain number of years and have many successful shows under your belt - there comes a time when decisions have to be made about which shows will be beneficial to you and which ones will not. As a "Runway Diva" I know that we ALL have a love of walking the runway, particularly when there aren't a whole lot of shows being produced for us. But those of you who are serious about your careers know that the time will come when it's a question of what is good or bad for your "image". Once you reach a certain level...there are just some things that are just not a good look for you be doing anymore. (ie...you have reached the point as an actress where you are now performing on Broadway...would you really consider doing a high school production of "Dreamgirls"for free, at this point in your career, just because you love singing? Hmmmm....


Just a thought.


When being approached by promoters and/or producers, after a while there are certain specific questions you need to ask yourself when trying to make a decision about doing a show. Ask yourself and then ask THEM:



  • Will my doing your show benefit me?

  • Am I being paid (be it cash, clothing or photos)?

  • If my "pay' is in photo form - are these photographs that I can actually use in my book?

  • Will there be someone influential in the audience who can further my career/dreams?

  • Will my being in your show help or hurt my image?

If the answer to these questions is "no" then you already have your answers before you start.


Remember that YOU are the product - invest in yourselves wisely.


Just some food for thought people....before the next show.


Love Ya!



"It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power."

No comments: