Thursday, February 28, 2008

Soul at Ceol's - The February Edition


What's up family!

Last night I performed "Soul at Ceol's" (pronounced "Keel") for the second time at Ceol's Pub at 191 Smith Street in the Boerum Hill section of Brooklyn. After sending out a mass email to my mailing list with the WRONG ADDRESS - (Dang! Ya'll - I'm really sorry about that!)...Jacqueline picked me up at 6:15pm and I was in a FOUL MOOD....again. By the time we got across the bridge my bad mood was quickly dissapating and as we parked in front of Ceol's a smile began to come across my face.

Outside of the venue was a big ol poster with a photo of The Runway Diva! As we made our way in I saw that the dining room (where I'd be performing) was quickly filling up. I decided to go over my music & lyrics and prepare myself for the 8pm set. As I was going over notes & lyrics, my friends began to walk through the doors - first up was Miss Eda Francois, followed by Clunis and my boy Shawn Hawkins from my favorite computer cafe, Michelle Young who brought her cousin with her, Ive Ventura (who I haven't seen in a while) who also brought a friend along.

After working out the logistics with Alex (my sound guy) I took the stage at 8pm - I started off my first set with some slow to moderate tempoed songs, so that folks could enjoy their dinner AND the music. There was plenty of Soul Food on the menu and Chef Syncere honored my request to add some potato salad to the menu (can't have fried chicken without it!). It was during the first set that I began to struggle vocally and the phlegm on my vocal chords was wearing me out! Several folks opted for me to try some traditional Irish drinks to help work out the kinks - I passed on the Guiness Stout (hate it!) and took the Irish Coffee that a gentleman seated down front offered me - lol...it was disgusting (Bailey's AND Milk? Can you say YUCK!???).

Anyway Alex was also working the bar and made me a hot toddy for my second set. By the time I took the stage for my second set, Mary Moore had arrived with a birthday gift (my favorite fragrance - Thierry Mugler's Angel Violette) for me and the hot toddy had me feeling all warm and fluffy inside. I was feeling so good that after I finished my 2nd set, I wanted to sing some more - so Jacqueline and I added a few more songs on the fly - It didn't really matter WHAT I was singing - folks just wanted to party....by the second set folks were up dancing, singing along and just having and all out good time! Before I knew it, everything was over and we were preparing to leave - Chef Syncere packed up several cartons of food for me and I couldn't wait to get it home to share it with my monster.

On the drive home, we (Jacqueline & I) chatted briefly about the nights events and I was already preparing a new set in my mind for next month's show. As I watched Jacque's tail lights disappear into the night, I couldn't get my mind off my potato salad and I ran upstairs to try some -

Imagine my face when I unpacked all that food and everything was in it EXCEPT my potato salad!!!! AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

Chef Syncere - I saw your face, I know you were exhausted - so I ain't mad....just still salivating for my potato salad...lol.

Thank you Mary Moore for the beautiful gift (I spritzed my last spray a week or so ago...lol)...it was right on time!

Oh yeah fam, Soul At Ceol's happens the last Wednesday of every month.

"Learn the art of patience. Apply discipline to your thoughts when they become anxious over the outcome of a goal. Impatience breeds anxiety, fear, discouragement and failure. Patience creates confidence, decisiveness, and a rational outlook, which eventually leads to success. "

No comments: