Thursday, November 13, 2008

Mo' Bay's Files For Chapter 11

Morning Family....

I just picked up this news from one of my favorite Harlem Blogs, UPTOWN Flavor (http://www.uptownflavor.com/) regarding the financial troubles over at Mo'Bay's...


MoBay Files for Chapter 11
Posted on October 29, 2008 by D. Bell

Last week we wrote about the closing of Baton Rouge, the sister restaurant to MoBay. Today, Crain’s has reported that MoBay could also be in danger of shuttering their doors. The beloved 125th Street destination has filed for Chapter 11 with the hope of reorganizing the business.


MoBay has always done brisk business and received rave reviews. The liability seemed to be with Baton Rouge. The location of Baton Rouge didn’t receive the same foot traffic as MoBay and the food was inconsistent at best. Perhaps filing Chapter 11 will give them a chance to regroup and hold on during the impending recession. The business is currently deep in the red with “$15,000 in assets and about $700,000 in liabilities.”


The owners noticed a major slowdown in August and blame the “young folks in Harlem.” They saw the biggest drop off in business in September when the Wall Streeters got laid off. Sheron Barnes, the co-owner of MoBay is making a number of changes:

She has shortened her labor hours, cutting staff wherever possible. For example, MoBay’s bartender only comes in for dinner service now. Ms. Barnes also plans to launch a new take-out menu that will feature “recession specials,” such as $2 chicken and other cafeteria-style dinners. She is even scolding staffers for leaving too many lights on or eating expensive food for family meals. “I’m running this place like a boot camp,” she said.

Sigh....I was never really a fan of Baton Rouge (I thought they were trying to do way too much in that oddly laid out space) but I would stop through occasionally to check out my boy Jimi Mitchell's band "Everyday People". I've never eaten there but the space was just too claustrophobic for me.

However, I dined at Mo'Bay's earlier this summer with author Relentless Aaron and I thought the food was delicious and the vibe was wonderful....although the restaurant itself is kind of tight (space wise) as well....it just had a "more happening" aura for me..ya know?

I met Sheron Barnes last year when we shared a table at the gala reception for the 50th Anniversary of Ebony Fashion Fair, she was (is) quite the little firecracker and I truly hope she can come out of this situation on her feet.
"Soul food is our personal passport to the past. It is much more about heritage than it is about hominy."

No comments: