Saturday, November 8, 2008

The Secret Life Of Bees - Loved It!!!!

Hey ya'll

I just got back from the movies, where a friend treated me to a screening of "The Secret Life of Bees"......

Lilly Owens is a young girl who lives on a peach farm that her abusive father owns. Rosalene is a black woman hired by Lilly's father to be a stand in mother for Lilly (Her real mother died in a horrendous accident that happened when she was a toddler). but when Rosalene insults some of the biggest racists in their town, Lilly is forced to take Rosaline and run away to a town Lilly believer her mother once lived. They go to live with three sisters on a honey farm, and Lilly soon learns what it is like to have a real family.

I absolutely LOVED it....LOVED IT!!!!

My curvy divas Queen Latifah, Jennifer Hudson & Alicia Keys all did amazingly well....Dakota Fanning is destined to be a great actress....but it was Sophie Okenedo who won my heart in this flick....I thought her performance was extraordinary.

The movie was set in the 60's, during some of the most turbulent times in our history and considering what just took place here on November 4th.....it made the movie all the more powerful for me and it brought tears to my eyes several times. It took me back to my childhood and memories of when family was truly FAMILY! When folks could stop through and sit a spell if necessary....Feel me?

As I watched the credits roll, I saw that Gina Prince-Bythewood directed and Jada Pinkett-Smith was the executive producer on this film. That made me proud.

Excellent job ya'll.

I recommend that everybody see this flick. It's really good. Here's a preview clip...Enjoy!



I think I'mma go and read the book now....I wanna read the parts that DIDN'T make the movie.

“The glory of this land has been its capacity for transcending the moral evils of our past. For example, the long struggle of minority citizens for equal rights, once a source of disunity and civil war, is now a point of pride for all Americans. We must never go back. There is no room for racism, anti-Semitism, or other forms of ethnic and racial hatred in this country."

No comments: