Friday, November 28, 2008

My Thanksgiving was the BOMB!! How was yours?

Yesterday was Thanksgiving and I had the pleasure of spending it with my family this year! We had a "Soul Food" dinner and it was awesome!! Everyone pitched in different dishes and we all gathered at my mom's house this year.

My baby sis and I did the bulk of the cooking with me handling the potato salad, sauteed string beans, pickled veggies, Cole slaw, banana pudding (with a little help from my niece Jennifer & my nephews) & sweet potato pie and my sister handled the greens, mac & cheese, yams, shrimps & rice & her specialty.....honey BBQ wings!!! (my sis can THROW DOWN on those BBQ wings y'all!!!). My mom made the Turkey and some slamming BBQ Ribs.
The grandchildren made the desserts of freshly baked cakes & cheesecakes. My cousin Christina made her first ever attempt at making greens too (not bad Heavy, just don't mix the pork & turkey and always add a little vinegar to the greens)

There was more food than we knew what to do with and NOBODY left my mama's house hungry....

There were a WHOLE LOTTA folks in my mama's house that day, my parents, aunties, uncles, my siblings, my nieces & nephews, cousins, grand kids, great grand kids...and friends as well...etc...four generations to be exact and it was wonderful...we have lots of new editions to our family and I saw relatives that I hadn't seen since they were teenagers and now they are all grown up with families of their own. My sister bought a case of wine (we like Riesling in the Boogie Down Y'all!!) and I kid you not...we must have finished off half the case by the time the day was over. Neighbors dropped by to bring plates of food to my mom and to wish her a happy Thanksgiving as well. Of course it wouldn't be Thanksgiving unless we could finish the day off with The Electric Slide and a dance battle in the hallway...lol.
It was an awesome day family....and I hope that you all enjoyed your Thanksgiving Day as much as I enjoyed mine.

"Families are like fudge... mostly sweet with a few nuts."

No comments: