Monday, November 17, 2008

Wanda Sykes Is Out and Proud

From Popeater...... Nov. 16) --

Comedian Wanda Sykes is openly gay, but was content to keep discussions of her sexual orientation private - until Proposition 8 passed in California. Sykes surprised organizers of a Las Vegas rally for gay rights with an unscheduled appearance on Saturday,
and told the crowd, "You know, I don't really talk about my sexual orientation... I was just living my life, not necessarily in the closet, but I was living my life. Everybody that knows me personally they know I'm gay. But that's the way people should be able to live their lives." She explained that the passage of Prop 8 felt like an attack on her lifestyle. "Now, I gotta get in their face," she said. "I'm proud to be a woman. I'm proud to be a black woman, and I'm proud to be gay."

The proposition to adopt a constitutional amendment outlawing same-sex marriage - overturning the earlier state Supreme Court decision giving gay couples the right to wed - passed with approval by 52% of California voters. Not surprisingly, a number of gay and straight celebrities are airing their disappointment.

Uh....who didn't know this already? lol....

“It's a lot easier being black than gay. At least if you're black you don't have to tell your parents.”

No comments: