Monday, October 13, 2008

Happy Birthday Rosie Star!!!









So family, after Marco and I left the Circle of Sisters expo at the Javits Center, we headed uptown to my place so we could change clothes and get ready for my girl Rosie Star's birthday bash at FR.OG (France Origine) in Soho.

Suzette Banzo picked us up in her ride and the three of us chatted heartily on the ride downtown. We found a parking space right around the corner from the club, parked the car and then walked the short distance to the club.

After a tiny bit of confusion from the door person with the funky attitude (what is THAT about people) we went inside and found the bottom level completely and totally.....empty. I got a little worried when I saw that and then we went upstairs and saw that Rosie's party was taking place on the upper level of the club....whew!

The party was just beginning to cook and cleavage was the "look" of the evening. Already upstairs partying with Rosie was Gwen "Diva" DeVoe, CEO of DeVoe Signature Events, Miss NYC Plus Isabel Garcia-Rivera and Plus models Braxton & Tiffany B.






Rosie was absolutely stunning in a cranberry colored, cleavage revealing dress and she was in full "hostess with the mostest" mode. We found a booth to put our things in and quickly headed to the bar.









I have been to FR.OG one other time, when I attended an album release after party for recording artist (and plus model) Maiyisha and I was surprised at the attitude that I'd heard Rosie was getting from the club's management team. (I absolutely HATE it when folks act like they don't need/want your money or patronage - when we already KNOW that you really do! We are in a recession people...EVERYONE is hurting...so it pays to be nice). I heard they confiscated the cupcakes she'd brought to serve her guests and told her quite plainly "You probably won't be getting these back"....huh?

But I digress...back to the bar....so I ordered a glass of Chardonnay that was so disgusting (it tasted like Boone's farm...I kid you not!) that I refused to drink it and asked for a glass of something else....I got the tiniest bit of attitude from the bartender but he switched it to a Pinot Grigio anyway. I think what annoyed me the most was the fact that they were serving ALL of the drinks in the plastic cups that you get from the .99 cent store....you know...the cups from the family picnic/kiddie birthday parties!!! I don't know about you all but I get a little offended when you ask me to spend $10-12 bucks on a drink and then you serve it to me in a tiny plastic cup...ya know? But the clincher was this: If you bought a glass of champagne - they gave it to you in a nice champagne flute!!! But the "champagne" was J. Roget (low man on the totem pole as far as champagne goes...)

So I can get a glass of cheap champagne in an actual glass but you serve me top shelf liquor in a PLASTIC CUP!!!???? What's wrong with this picture people?

But back to the party - people were beginning to arrive in large number and the party was in full swing mode. The DJ was pretty good at mixing old school R&B and Hip Hop with a little house and everyone was having a great time. Rosie's friend Val arrived later on sporting a cute lil blonde do' and Rosie was exuberant at the sight of her.

Everyone was buying the birthday girl her favorite drink (a cosmo, I believe) and as the night progressed Miss Rosie was really animated and having a great time. We were all having a great time....lol....until we realized that we were hearing some of the same songs over and over again (I mean how many times can you play Janet Jackson's Feedback or Joe Budden's "Pump It Up" in one night?). I decided to go down stairs and make a special request...I asked the DJ to please play "When I Grow Up" by the Pussycat Dolls (It has to be the hottest thing on the radio right now) and he promised he would. Satisfied, I made my back upstairs and waited for my turn to dance.

Alas, turns out I would be waiting in vain, cuz home boy NEVER bothered to put that song on once...

Rosie managed to retrieve the cupcakes that the club was holding hostage and began circulating them around the room for her guests to enjoy.

She was having a wonderful time and as long as she was happy - I was happy (Cuz that's just how WE roll!!).

We decided to pack it in at around 2am (which is WAY past my bedtime ya'll) and we (Diva, Suzette, Marco & Myself) said our goodbyes and headed back around the corner to Suzette's car. We were laughing and revisiting some of the more interesting observations at the party when I noticed that some one had busted out Suzette's back window on the passenger side and stolen Marco's clothing.

We (or rather I...lol) began immediately rousing homeless people from their cardboard homes, trying to find out if they saw or knew anything. Diva & I began trying to remove the broken glass from the car and Suzette was checking to see if anything else was stolen (it wasn't) and Marco had to go and take a walk to get himself together (he's a new to NYC and I hated that he had to get a "Welcome to NYC" like this).

We dropped Marco off at the train station and still shocked by the turn of events rode back uptown in near silence. We realized that things are getting pretty bad when folks are stealing CLOTHES and LEAVING GPS navigators and radios in cars when they break in them.

Nonetheless, I had an awesome time at your party Rosie and I am glad to see from your turnout that in addition to my love for you....you are abundantly loved by others as well.

Happy Birthday Mama!

"Birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you live."

No comments: