Thursday, October 2, 2008

Neal E. Boyd takes the Million Dollar Prize on America's Got Talent

Well call me surprised family.....

Congratulations to Opera singer Neal E. Boyd , who took the $1 Million Dollar Top Prize on America's Got Talent.
I decided to check out the finale of America's Got Talent last night. I was really only watching because one of my friend's acts, Hip-Hop Violinists Nuttin But Stringz, was one of the remaining five. I don't normally watch this show because so many of the acts are SO VERY
bad in the beginning rounds and I simply couldn't fathom sitting through 5-6 weeks of bad singing/dancing/clowns/dog acts/female impersonators...etc. But because I was already familiar with Nuttin But Stringz and I was also curious about vocalist Queen Emily from the promos; I decided to check out the show.

I knew I wouldn't be able to tempt my monster into watching with me so I decided to head downtown and watch it with my friend Deb. I enjoyed the flashbacks, guest performances and the good luck wishes from celebs to the final five but I swear to you, when they had the performances from "The AGT Best of the Worst Audition Performers" I almost lost it. It was heinous- so bad it wasn't even funny. I looked at my friend and asked "Why does this look like The Jerry Springer Talent Show?" I almost stopped watching at that point.

But then things took a turn for the serious and the lights dimmed as the elimination of the finalists began. We were both shocked when audience favorite Queen Emily was the first to go. But we were even more shocked when the two cuties that make up "Nuttin But Stringz" was third in line to be eliminated. It was at this point that I began to look at Neal E. Boyd a little closer.

Although, I thought he was an amazing opera singer...He sang the hell out of Nessun Dorma..But I will be honest, I really didn't think he had a snowballs chance in hell of winning. Had this been "American Idol" he'd have been the first to go. His last remaining opponent, Eli Mattson, sang AND played piano and he is quite the looker as well. Somehow I could just SEE them wrapping an entire Vegas show around him but well....I just didn't see it in Boyd as he stood next to Mattson in his ill fitting black suit. As long as I can remember...the rule in music and entertainment has always been this - it's less about your talent and more about your IMAGE.


So yeah...I was very surprised when his name was announced as the winner - Score one for size acceptance ya'll.....

But I still don't see a Vegas show wrapped around his act. Do You? Well, maybe if they bring Nuttin But Stringz along for the ride and give it a "Hip-Hop Opera" slant....add some dancers, a light show, smoke machines etc...and you may actually have something there...

By the way...did you know that the $1 Million dollar prize is payable in 40 annual annuity payments??? What's that, like, $25,000 per year BEFORE taxes? I just happened to catch that little blurb as it scrolled up the screen in the closing credits....

"The toughest thing about success is that you've got to keep on being a success. Talent is only a starting point in this business. You've got to keep on working that talent. Someday I'll reach for it and it won't be there."

No comments: