Tuesday, October 28, 2008

2008 Thurgood Marshall Prestige Awards Reception at Saks Fifth Avenue

So after the Thurgood Marshall Front Row Fashion event at Roseland last night, I got a last minute request from designer Douglas Says to fill in and represent him at the 2008 Thurgood Marshall Prestige Awards Reception at Saks Fifth Avenue the following evening. I agreed and I decided to wear his signature color block wrap dress (a dress I had been coveting for YEARS now!)...

The Thurgood Marshall Prestige Award is the highest award presented annually by the organization to individuals who are young, on the cutting edge and embody the leadership, committment and legacy of the late Justice Thurgood Marshall.

The reception was being held on the 8th floor of Saks Fifth Avenue and I had to walk through the Shoe Salon to get to the event. I was absolutely salivating at the sight of all of those beautiful shoes!! As I reached the reception desk I saw the beautiful smiling face of Nakeisha Jennings who works for the fund. I picked up a program out front and was headed to the coat check area to drop off my bag but I got sidetracked at the bar where they were giving out free makeovers and massages. First familiar face (besides the photographer, who got a great shot of me as soon as I arrived) was that of my girl Yvette Heyward & Manhattan Deputy Borough President Rosamund Pierre-Louis.




I was wearing a color blocked wrapped dress by designer Douglas Says and I must admit...lol...I looked stunning in it. I got briefly distracted by the makeup artists who were lining the bar at the entrance giving out free makeovers and massages. I paused for a moment to let the ladies play in my face for a while and then I made my through the room.

I paused for a moment to say hello to award honoree Memsor Kamarake, Fashion Director and Stylist of Vibe Magazine; who I bonded with immediately when we traveled to Guyana last year for Fashion Week. I also got a moment to talk to Stylist Carlton Spence (who I had just hung out with on Saturday night) and cake designer Margo Lewis (who I sat with as they passed out the awards. Wendy Williams was also on hand to accept her award and I almost managed to snag a photo but her husband gave me a very gruff "No Pictures" and sent me on my way.....with Wendy telling me how much she hates taking photos...she doesn't think she takes a decent photo. I did however meet her son, who was most gracious (we had to work briefly on that limp handshake he gave me).

Also receiving an award on this evening was my favorite restauranteur Melba Wilson of Melba's Restaurant in Harlem. I spoke briefly to Vibe's Editor-In-Chief, Danyel Smith and as soon as they gave out the last award I was on a mission to find Memsor and drill him again about using plus sized models in their fashion layouts! And to my surprise - he told me he was already scheduled to begin doing that shortly! (More on that as I find out the details!). I briefly chatted with Melba before heading out. The other award honorees were Saundtra Parks (The Daily Blossom), Susan Davenport Austin (Sheridan Gospel Network), DeJuan Wilson (Bad Boy Worldwide) & Spencer Means (The Corcoran Group). Congratulations to all of the honorees!

I stopped to say my goodbyes and pick up my goody bag from Nakeisha who was cool enough to invite me to the final award festivities at The Sheraton Hotel the following evening. I held my breath as I had to walk through that shoe salon again to get to the elevators...I got hung up when I reached the Louboutin pumps (and the salesperson thought it cool to tell me they carried MY size - a size 12....lol...like I have $300-$400 bucks to spend on some shoes!!!). I managed to get out of that shoe salon with my dignity (and my pocketbook) still intact and headed out into the warm night home.

Two events down and one more to go........

“Education is not received. It is achieved."

No comments: