Wednesday, October 15, 2008

I'm Too Fat To Represent The Avenue?

And now on top of all that mess with The Janice Dickinson Agency....I get an email this morning regarding a blog post on The Avenue Stores:

From Kim Brittingham's Kim Writes Blog:
http://kimwrites2008.blogspot.com/2008/10/im-too-fat-to-represent-avenue.html
Monday, October 13, 2008

"I'm Too Fat to Represent "Avenue"

A few weeks ago I was invited to meet with Kellie Brown, VP of the fashion division at 5W Public Relations. Some of the messages in my writing had impressed members of 5W’s staff and the meeting was to discuss ways in which I, and my writing, could be used to promote Avenue, a plus size clothing retailer, in a way that is empowering and positive to larger women. I also offered 5W an idea for a viral video in which I could recite sentiments from some of my more popular essays, which they were initially enthusiastic about.

When I arrived at 5W, I was awkwardly told by two of Ms. Brown’s underlings that she had been pulled into a meeting at the last minute and wouldn’t be able to see me. Later, an embarrassed 5W staff member I’ll call “Renee” confided in me that Ms. Brown had, in fact, seen me enter the office and decided on the spot that I wasn’t “worth her time”. Renee said that although Ms. Brown is “more plus” than I am, Ms. Brown felt I was too fat to be a spokeswoman for Avenue. Even though I wear their clothes. Even though I am their target customer. Let me add that I was well-groomed when I arrived at the 5W office, I didn’t reek, and as always, I was gracious and very well-spoken.

Renee was excited about my potential involvement with Avenue. She felt Ms. Brown’s hasty decision to discount me based on my size, for work with a plus size clothing retailer, was completely lacking in vision, discriminatory and just plain unintelligent. I must agree.

What do you think about the way Kellie Brown conducted herself – not just in relation to me, but in relation to her client, Avenue? Do you think Avenue is being well-represented by Ms. Brown? Do you think Avenue should seek the assistance of another PR firm – perhaps one with a fashion VP who makes more insightful decisions? Do you feel comfortable giving your money to Avenue, knowing how I was treated by their hired representative? Maybe you should share your thoughts with
Avenue and/or 5W.

These days, Avenue is owned by the Redcats Group. The same people who own OneStopPlus.com, as well as the Roaman’s, Woman Within (formerly Lane Bryant), Jessica London and BryLane Home mail order catalogs.

Maybe these will help:

Eric Faintreny, Chairman and CEO
Redcats Group
463 7th Ave.
New York, NY 10018
Phone: 212-613-9500

Kellie Brown, Vice President
5W Public Relations
kbrown@5wpr.com

Ronn Torossian, President & CEO
5W Public Relations
rtorossian@5wpr.com

5W Public Relations
1120 Avenue of the Americas, 7th Floor
New York, NY, 10036
Phone: 212.999.5585

Oh, and P.S. Avenue, if you’d like to see a proposal for the brilliant viral video campaign that 5W tossed out the window,
e-mail me. Any time.

Get to writing and blogging my sisters....It's time for Unity in the Plus Community!!

Thanks for passing this on Monica!

“Unity to be real must stand the severest strain without breaking."

No comments: