Sunday, April 13, 2008

Happy Birthday April Woodward




Last night Jacqueline & I attended a birthday celebration in honor of Inside Edition's April Woodward

at a club called Vault located on East Houston Street (at Essex Street & Avenue A). I have never actually formally met April, so my invite came from my buddy Yvette Hayward.

The weather was an absolutely gorgeous 65 degrees and absolutely EVERYBODY AND THEIR MOTHER was out and about last night. That made parking a NIGHTMARE!!! I kid you not, Jacqueline and I must have driven around for 45 minutes looking for parking (we did managed to nearly find one spot and my girl Jacqueline pulled a SPECTACULAR feat of DRIVING when she made a U-turn in traffic and pretty much er...stole a parking space from a chick who was waiting for the space...lol...(we didn't see them initially and once we did, we gave them the space back)...but the MOVE ya'll!!! The MOVE WAS SPECTACULAR!!!! She must have been having NASCAR memories (yup...Jacque drove for NASCAR family!!!!) when she did that!

Anyway, we were close to giving up and just going back home, when Jacque decided to drop me off at the front of the venue and do one last circle for parking and she would call me if she still couldn't find a spot. When I got out of the car the first person I ran into was Yvette and she quickly guided me through the red carpet photo ops! (Thanks Yvette!) and then she took me downstairs to the VIP area, where I sat and waited for Jacque's call.

I have never been to this club before but as soon as I got downstairs I saw immediately why it was called "Vault", it was very dark and I don't know how far back the dance floor went because the space was just too tight and dark for me and I started feeling really claustrophobic in that VIP room..lol. After about 5-10 minutes I looked up and saw Jacque who managed to snag a parking spot very close by. She joined me in the VIP room and shortly afterwards the birthday girl walked in....along with an entourage of like 10-15 people and that room got crowded REALLY QUICKLY. As the birthday girl took photos and greeted her friends Jacque and I got a close look at her birthday cake which looked like a stack of birthday gifts (my homegirl Bev Carter created a similar cake for my mother's 50th Birthday party), it was really beautiful and I found myself wondering what it would taste like. Another brother who I believe is a DJ was also celebrating his birthday and he had a beautiful cake that looked like a turntable with a record on it....it was pretty darn cool (lol...I ordered a cake like that for DJ Rockin Rob's Birthday back in the day!).

Anyway, after finally getting to meet April and take a few photos, we decided to leave because I was tired, Jacque was tired and my knees were killing me - AGAIN.

Did I say the DJ was pretty damn good? Well he was and if I wasn't hurting and there had been more room....I would have loved to dance a bit.

On my way out I found Yvette and thanked her for the invite and told her I'd be in touch, I turned, took a few steps and ran right into Lenny Green from WBLS.


I think I blogged about Lenny's Baby Blue Birthday Boat Ride last year because Lenny NEVER remembers who I am (damn boo, you know THAT many 6ft tall bald headed black women???) but tonight for some reason he knew EXACTLY who I was....and as I walked to him I kept saying "Oh you recognize me now huh?"...it was hilarious.

Anyway, after a little chit chat, we resumed walking to the car and finally headed back uptown but no BEFORE (of course) I had Jacque stop at my favorite falafel spot (next door to Cafe Regio's and a few doors up from Cafe Wha?) to pick up a couple of falafels for me and my monster.

Happy Birthday April!!! Continued success in ALL that you do!

Yvette Hayward - Thanks for the invite chica, I appreciate it!

Because time itself is like a spiral, something special happens on your birthday each year: The same energy that God invested in you at birth is present once again.

No comments: