Thursday, April 17, 2008

Real Men Cook at Billie's Black





Yesterday evening at around 6:30 or so, I scooped up my "Biscuit Bud" Deb and headed over to Billie's Black on 119th Street to check out the registration event for the 19th Annual Real Men Cook.

What is Real Men Cook you ask?

Real Men Cook Charities, Inc®
Presents Real Men Cook®

Real Men Cook Charities, Inc. presents Real Men Cook events as a national crusade to positively change the way the world views men in relationship to their families and the community. The crusade includes events, which take place all on the same day, Father’s Day; in Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Detroit, Houston, Miami, Los Angeles, New Orleans, New York, Philadelphia and Washington, DC.


For more info on Real Men Cook Charities, Check out http://www.realmencook.com/


Anyway, I haven't been to Billie's Black (www.billiesblack.com) in a long minute....I think the last time I was there was a few years ago, when Eda and I stumbled upon it while looking for a new restaurant to try.





It's a cute little spot, on the small side but the ambiance is great! As I entered the restaurant, the first person I spotted was a sister name Gail (we go waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy back to the Perk's days) who always greets me with love whenever I see her. After quickly perusing the room we decided to take some table towards the back of the restaurant. Once we got settled, I went to the bar to order some drinks....a "Billie's Black" (their signature drink) for me and a tequila & cranberry for Deb. I don't really mess with tequila & cranberry but the Billie's Black was QUITE tasty!


Shortly after we got our drinks, I looked up and saw my homie Sohad coming through the doors! I had completely forgotten that we spoke on the phone the other day and had agreed to meet at the event....I don't get to see Sohad as much as I would like and needless to say I was happy to see her walk through the doors!

She came in and immediately announced that she was hungry, so she ordered some appetizers and an entree....meanwhile the waitstaff started making rounds with platters of freshly fried catfish...now I don't particularly care for catfish myself, but I had a few pieces and they were actually very good! After Sohad placed her order for Honey BBQ Wings, a big ass steak...lol...with mac & cheese, collard greens AND garlic mashed potatoes....(yeah...I know it SOUNDS like a lot of food....lol...but we shared it!) she ordered another round of drinks and we all settled back to get caught up.


I kept periodically looking up for Roz Nixon, the sister who invited me to this event but she was nowhere to be found. I did however catch a glimpse & take photos with WBLS Legendary DJ...Mr. "Quiet Storm" himself - Vaughn Harper. I heard he'd had a major stroke last year, I think...but he appears to have recovered nicely....he looks great! I also ran into another brother from my party days....John Fleming, who I think was one of the organizers of the event. A bad fall left him crutches for the event. He was moving slowly but he looks wonderful....I wish you a speedy recovery boo! Miss Billie's Black herself came over and chatted it with us for a while...but she wouldn't give up any secrets on who the person is in the photo on the bathroom wall....lol......


(I swear fam....I DO have pictures...lol....still looking for the charging base for my camera....)


The food was tasty and the drinks kept flowing....Roz did appear after a while....we were having a good old time between my doing "photo ops", talking amongst ourselves and messing around with the two chicks at the table behind us....Michelle & Tawanna...(See!! I remembered!) we barely felt the time flying by.


We called for the check at around 9:30pm, Thanked our MOST WONDERFUL server (a very CUTE young brother named Maurice I think) said our goodbyes and walked over to Eighth Avenue to put Sohad in a taxi. Then we hitched one for ourselves and headed over to 102nd to catch a new episode of "Top Chef Chicago".


It was a wonderful night and I will definitely be trying to check out the actual event on Father's Day.....I can't wait to see and taste what the brothers are cooking.

Thanks for the invite Roz!

Men like to barbecue. Men will cook if danger is involved.

No comments: