Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The Wiz Is Coming To NY's City Center!!!

The Broadway musical that gave us “Ease On Down the Road” and may have inspired a vintage-1980s electronics retail chain is coming back: New York City Center announced that it would stage a revival of “The Wiz” as its Encores! Summer Stars production.

The original musical, a modern-day retelling of L. Frank Baum’s “Wonderful Wizard of Oz” with an African-American cast, won seven Tony Awards, including best musical, in 1975. The Encores! revival will be directed by and choreographed by Andy Blankenbuehler (who collaborated on “In the Heights”), and is scheduled to run from June 12 through July 3.

No casting has been announced. (hmmm...wonder when the auditions are for THIS show.)

OMIGOD!!! This is my most FAVORITE Broadway Show Ever!!! (Dreamgirls runs a close second). My Aunt Jessie gave me my first ticket in 1975 and I saw this production FOUR TIMES when it was on Broadway with Stephanie Mills...I still have the red hair ribbon that she wore in the show and her autograph in my scrapbook. One of my dreams came true when I got to play the role of Evillene in a production produced by The New York Youth Theater. It was one of the best times of my life...for real.

Check it out!



You KNOW i'mma check this one out....Alex! Look for your phone to ring shortly!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck Sharon!! You would be wonderful in that part. I would love to come to New York to see that.

Anonymous said...

Do you know that I have never been to a play on Broadway? Let change that please...LOL!!